And so this is Christmas! Unfortunately, I’ve been sick all weekend and didn’t feel like cooking or baking a thing. Good thing my mom and Ben’s mom took the lead and did it all. It probably would’ve been that way even if I was feeling healthy. There is just something about eating someone else’s cooking during the holidays…
Even so, I have a few recipes I’ve made in the past weeks that haven’t made it to the blog yet. As my Christmas gift to you, I’ll post one right now. This one is from a magazine a friend at work gives me every so often, Hallmark Magazine.
1 tube (18 oz) precooked polenta
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3 tbsp olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
6 Roma (plum) tomatoes, chopped
1 tbsp basil
1 tbsp oregano
Pinch of sugar
4 tbsp tomato paste
1 lb mild or hot Italian sausage, casings removed
8 oz mozzarella, shredded
1. In a medium bowl, crumble the polenta. Mix in 1/3 cup of the Parmesan. Press into a 9-inch square baking dish.
2. Preheat the oven to 375 F.
3. In a large skillet, heat 2 tbsp of the oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until just turning golden, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, basil, oregano and sugar. Simmer 15 minutes, stirring often. Add the tomato paste and cook 3 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the sausage in the remaining 1 tbsp oil over medium-high for 5 to 7 minutes.
5. Sprinkle 1/3 cup of the Parmesan over the polenta. Top with the sausage, sauce, remaining 1/3 cup Parmesan and mozzarella. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until hot and bubbling. Let stand for 10 minutes.