Every Thursday night we hang out at our friends to watch LOST together. Last Thursday I decided at last minute to make some brownies to bring with us. Believe it or not, I do not have a favorite brownie recipe yet (besides boxed brownie mix from the grocery store) so I logged on to Allrecipes.com and decided to try this one because it had great reviews.
The reviews were also very helpful in shedding light on what changes I should make according to how cakey or gooey I wanted the brownies. Typically, I’d rather have my brownies more cake-like, but I still used one less egg than the original recipe called for because I just couldn’t fathom using 4 eggs! I also only used 3/4 cup butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar.
We got to eat these warm, and everyone loved them. I not a fan of crunchiness in brownies, either, so I omitted the walnuts. The only change I’d make for next time is to serve them with ice cream!!
Gooey Yet Cake-Like Brownies
(Adapted from AllRecipes’ Fudge Brownies I)
- 3/4 cup butter
- 4 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9×13 inch baking pan.
- In 3-quart saucepan over very low heat, melt butter or margarine and chocolate, stirring the mixture constantly. Remove from heat, and stir the sugar into the chocolate. Allow the mixture to cool slightly. Beat in the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each, then stir in the vanilla. Combine the flour and salt; stir into the chocolate mixture. Fold in the walnuts. Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake in oven 30 to 35 minutes. Brownies are done when toothpick inserted into center come out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack.