What shortcuts do you take when cooking or entertaining? To enter for your chance to win a $100 gift card, please leave a comment below answering this question. One winner will be randomly chosen. Good luck! Oh, and make sure you click here to snatch a coupon! :)
No duplicate comments. You may receive (2) total entries by selecting from the following entry methods:
1. Leave a comment in response to the sweepstakes prompt on this post
2. Tweet (public message) about this promotion; including exactly the following unique term in your tweet message: “#SuccessRice” and “#SweepstakesEntry”; and leave the URL to that tweet in a comment on this post
3. Blog about this promotion, including a disclosure that you are receiving a sweepstakes entry in exchange for writing the blog post, and leave the URL to that post in a comment on this post
4. For those with no Twitter or blog, read the official rules to learn about an alternate form of entry
This giveaway is open to US Residents age 18 or older. Winners will be selected via random draw, and will be notified by e-mail. The notification email will come directly from BlogHer via the sweeps@blogher email address. You will have 72 hours to respond; otherwise a new winner will be selected.
The Official Rules are available here. This sweepstakes runs from 9/2-10/31.
Be sure to visit the Success Rice brand page on BlogHer.com where you can read other bloggers’ posts!
After a little prep and the quick help of Success® White Rice, you can have this Cajun red beans and rice dish slowly cooking in your crock pot, ready for a weeknight dinner for these busy back-to-school days.
- 1 lb dried red kidney beans, rinsed and soaked in water overnight
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 13 oz. smoked turkey sausage, thinly sliced (or andouille sausage)
- Cooked white rice
- Garnishes: hot sauce, sliced green onions, diced red onion
Drain the beans and transfer to a medium-sized pot. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Let boil for at least 10 minutes. Drain and transfer to a 6-quart slow cooker.
Add the celery, bell peppers, yellow onion, garlic cloves, Creole seasoning, bay leaves and chicken broth to the slow cooker. Stir to combine. Cook on high for 8 hours. When 2 hours are left, add the sausage.
After the 8 hours of cooking, remove the bay leaves and transfer about 2 cups of the bean mixture into a bowl (avoiding any of the sausage). Mash with a fork. Return mashed bean mixture back to the slow cooker and stir to combine. Let cook on high for another 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare your rice and garnishes. Serve the bean and sausage mixture over the hot rice with optional garnishes.
Use Success® White Rice for convenience. Season bean mixture to taste with other optional spices, such as cayenne pepper if you like it more spicy. The andouille sausage will also add more heat. I make mine with a little less spice to make it more kid-friendly.