Baked Southwestern Chile Dip is a super easy dip that can be prepped up to 4 hours in advance. Throw in the oven for only 20 minutes before topping with fresh tomatoes and green onions.
Super Bowl Sunday (aka this year The Brother Bowl, or The HarBowl) is less than a week away! Yipeeee! It’s one of our favorite “holidays.” (Are we the only ones who consider it a holiday?) 🙂 Ben grew up near Baltimore, so I don’t have to tell you who we are rooting for, although we’re ultimately Chicago Bears fans. But, you already knew that, right?
I love watching the game and the commercials, but every year it seems that I miss the majority of what’s on the TV because I’m hovering over the food and socializing with my friends. Don’t get me wrong, I love all of that, too, but at the end of the night I usually think “shoot! I really wanted to see that game!”
This year, we are hosting the party and I plan to figure out how to socialize, eat AND watch the game all at the same time. Plus, I have a few new appetizers already up my sleeve that can be prepped ahead of time so I don’t need to spend all of my time in the kitchen. This one is a super easy dip that can be prepped up to 4 hours in advance, then thrown in the oven for just 20-30 minutes before topping with fresh tomatoes and green onions.
My friend from church served this at a women’s gathering a few months ago and I tracked her down for the recipe right away. I believe it may have originally come from a Better Homes and Garden publication, but not entirely sure. Either way, it’s a keeper!
Baked Southwestern Chile Dip
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 (4 1/2 oz) can chopped ripe olives, drained
- 1 (4 1/2 oz) can chopped green chiles, drained
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- dash of hot sauce
- About 1 cup chopped grape tomatoes
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- Combine the cheese, mayonnaise, three-quarters of the olives, chiles, garlic powder and hot sauce in a large bowl. Stir until evenly blended. Spread into a lightly greased 9-inch pie plate or small baking dish. (At this point, you can cover the dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate up to 4 hours. Bake as directed, increasing baking time). Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle the tomatoes, remaining olives, and green onions evenly on top. Serve warm with chips, peppers, crackers, crusty bread, etc.