A fresh crisp broccoli salad tossed with a simple tangy homemade dressing. Broccoli salad is a quick salad everyone loves for any gathering, potluck, party, etc.
Broccoli salad is one of my go-to side dishes when I'm in a pinch or want something fresh and quick. Make this broccoli salad with burgers and Lemon Garlic Baby Potatoes. Toss in crumbled bacon, almonds, cranberries, onions or other ingredients to create variations beyond this standard broccoli salad recipe.
How to make the best broccoli salad.
This broccoli salad is a the best broccoli salad recipe because it is so easy and fresh! You do not have to cook the broccoli. You can quickly throw this favorite side dish together with only a few simple steps:
- Chop the raw broccoli into bite-sized florets and place in a large bowl.
- Add other ingredients in the broccoli salad like bacon, cranberries, cheese, onion, etc.
- Toss in the tangy dressing.
- Chill for 3 hours.
What dressing goes on broccoli salad?
There are broccoli salad recipes that call for a vinaigrette style dressing. I prefer the creamy kind with a mayonnaise base. The dressing for this broccoli salad includes only 3 ingredients: mayonnaise, white vinegar, and sugar. Super easy to whisk together then pour over the broccoli.
Memorial Day (or any summer cook-out) is not complete without some sort of macaroni, potato or broccoli salad as a side. I grew up eating this broccoli salad with cheese at different picnics, potlucks, parties, etc. And, I think it usually was my mom's go-to dish to bring.
This broccoli salad is tangy, creamy, and sweet. It satisfies with such simple ingredients! Even raw broccoli haters usually convert with one bite. Whip this up in no time, then let it sit in the fridge for a few hours to let the flavors blend. Then, when you get to your party, find someone who doesn't like broccoli and dare them to not like this!
- 2 fresh broccoli heads cut into small florets
- 1/2 red onion finely diced
- 4-6 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp white vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the broccoli, onion, bacon and cheese.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, vinegar and sugar until the sugar is dissolved. Pour over the broccoli mixture and toss evenly.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving.