Chicken salad sandwich recipe with fighter foods like mixed nuts and dried cranberries.
Ben and I love chicken salad sandwiches. My favorite way to serve and eat them is on a croissant roll with an additional layer of spinach. Typically, I go for a combination with grapes, celery and mayo, like this recipe I love.
But, a few weeks ago, Ben read an article about how eating a handful of mixed nuts every day extends your life. (I'm sure in a few years we'll find out it actually shortens it, just like one day wine is bad for you but the next we find out it's actually beneficial.) 🙂
Anyway, because of this proven study, we've been keeping mixed nuts stocked in our pantry. I decided to create a new chicken salad recipe with items I had on hand, including the mixed nuts, and, holy cow, I developed a new favorite and healthier version.
This version uses my favorite shredded cooked chicken, a handful of mixed nuts to extend our life (ha!) and some Greek yogurt to alleviate the use of too much mayo. I've also recently learned from my father-in-law who is battling prostate cancer, that cranberries are a top cancer fighter and one of the world's healthiest foods. I had dried cranberries on hand and threw them in to my chicken salad as well.
So here is my new favorite chicken salad recipe that fights cancer and extends your life. (Ok, it doesn't necessarily do either of those, but we can always hope.) 😉
Chicken Salad Sandwiches with Cranberries and Mixed Nuts
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard (to taste)
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 green onions , chopped
- Handful of mixed nuts (add more or less to preference)
- Handful of dried cranberries (add more or less to preference)
- 4 Croissant rolls (or another type of bread for serving)
- Spinach leaves (optional)
- In a medium bowl, mix together all of the ingredients listed, up through the dried cranberries. Slice the croissants in half and layer one side with spinach. Top the spinach with the chicken salad and place other half of croissant to enclose sandwich. Repeat with remaining croissants. Serve immediately.
- (You may refrigerate the mixture before assembling the sandwiches, if preferred.)
- Nutrition information is an estimate only and will vary based on amount of ingredients used.
How do you cook the chicken?
Nikki Gladd says
My favorite way to make cooked shredded chicken is found here: https://www.seededatthetable.com/2013/01/24/the-best-shredded-chicken-for-your-chicken-dishes-homemade-chicken-broth/
I made this tonight after work. I cheated and shredded up a rotisserie chicken. It is amazing! My daughter has informed me I need to make it a lot more often!
Nikki Gladd says
Thanks, Amy! You have a wise daughter.. 😉
Amy @Very Culinary says
Absolutely love this!
Gerry @ Foodness Gracious says
One of my fav sandwiches, and on a croissant too 🙂
Melanie @ Carmel Moments says
I love chicken salad. This looks delicious on a croissant. Yum! Pinned!
When you say dried cranberries - are those like Craisins?
Yes, you can use Craisins. 🙂
I love chicken salad sandwiches. I'm always tempted to try them whenever I see them on a menu. I usually use grapes but I can't wait to try cranberries!
This looks so good! I love chicken salad and I'm a sucker for any sandwich on a croissant!