Since the day I shared the original Breakfast Bumpy Cake recipe with you, I have tried a couple of successful flavor variations. One was suggested by a reader, but this one that I'm giving you today was just an obvious one that popped into my mind one morning. In my household, we always love a breakfast consumption of chocolate chip pancakes, so why not incorporate this same idea into the bumpy cakes? Yeah, I'm brilliant and I know it. 😉
This particular morning, I used my oven-safe ramekins to make individual portions. It was fun to have our own little bumpy cakes and the way they puffed up over the top of the bowls created such a beautiful presentation. You don't have to do it this way and can stick to the usual 9- x 13-inch pan. Oh, and serve these as fast as you can, because the high bumps do sink quickly.
Chocolate Chip Bumpy Cakes
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups milk
- 6 eggs
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips , plus more for topping
- Optional toppings:
- Syrup (maple, chocolate, caramel, etc.)
- Confectioners' Sugar
- Whipped Cream
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Melt butter in the bottom of a 9- x 13-inch pan in the oven, or in individual ramekins set on top of a baking sheet. Combine the milk, eggs, flour, salt and sugar in a blender, food processor or mixer until fully incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chips. Pour the batter into the hot buttered pan(s), making sure the chocolate chips are evenly spread (they will sink to the bottom). Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until high bumps appear and the top is lightly browned.
- To serve from the 9- x 13-inch pan, cut into individual rectangle servings. Serve immediately with a sprinkling of additional mini chocolate chips and optional toppings.