A copycat version of Chipotle Mexican Grill's famous cilantro lime rice. Easy and refreshing.
Click here to SAVE this Cilantro Lime Rice recipe!
We love Chipotle Mexican Grill, but we do not have one in the entire state of Mississippi. That's just wrong! I'm hopeful someday soon one will pop up in town, but for now, we make our own when the cravings hit. This white rice infused with the herbal flavors of the bay leaves, the bitterness of the cilantro and the citrus tang of the lemon and lime juices is the perfect refreshing accompaniment to our fiesta.
Every time we make Mexican food for dinner, I try to whip up this Cilantro Lime White Rice. It's extremely easy to make on the stove-top and it makes a TON so I can freeze the leftovers for later.
Don't need leftovers? I'm thinking you can halve the recipe. Use 2 cups water and 1 cup rice without changing the cooking time. A half serving would be perfect for your family of 2-4.
What's your favorite menu item at Chipotle?
Cilantro Lime White Rice
- 4 cups water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups dry white rice (basmati or jasmine)
- Juice from half a large lime
- Juice from half a large lemon
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro , more to taste
- Combine water, salt and bay leaves in a medium to large pot. (4 qt. pot is perfect, no smaller than 2.5 qt.). Bring to a rapid boil over high heat. Watch carefully. Right when it reaches the rapid boil, stir in the rice.
- Keep on high heat until it just starts to low boil. Immediately cover and turn heat all the way down to low. Set your timer for 25 minutes. After 25 minutes, turn off the heat, uncover and let set for 2 minutes. Fluff with a fork and transfer to a large bowl. Gently mix in the rest of the ingredients, serve immediately.
- To freeze leftovers: Allow the rice to cool completely, then portion out in quart size freezer bags. Freeze for up to 1 month. To serve, open zipper about 1 inch to allow ventilation and microwave on high for 90 seconds (turning halfway through). Microwave for an additional 30 seconds at a time if more time is needed.
Pin this image to save for later.