WINNER ANNOUNCED: The winner (chosen by Random.org) of the Fisher Nuts Cook with Nuts prize package is Ashley Simpson who said: "Pecans are my favorite-not only are they abundant where I live here in eastern North Carolina, but they are very versatile. My favorite way of eating them is spiced candied pecans which my dad makes every year for Christmas (yep, my dad is the chef in our house!)" Congratulations, Ashley! Please check your email for instructions on how to claim your prize.
Many of us go through countless nuts when cooking for Christmas festivities...
...and sometimes we turn into nuts ourselves from all the busyness! 😉
Fisher Nuts wants to help you create simple recipes in your kitchen by supplying one of my readers with a prize pack and presenting all of you with some recipe ideas from Food Network Chef Alex Guarnashelli's collection.
I decided to test out one of Alex's recipes this weekend with the sliced almonds provided to me from Fisher Nuts. This Cranberry Toasted Almond Brie was seriously good. Even though pregnant ladies are supposed to avoid brie (I guess?) I couldn't stop snacking on it! Don't judge...please.
Ben finally took it away from me and I found him nibbling (gorging) on it in front of some television basketball game. He then took it and gave it to our neighbors... who have the 7 kids, and hopefully just finished it. That's the food bloggers life, you have to give some of the food away before turning into 300 pounds! (So, instead, you try to turn your neighbors into 300 pounds!) 😉
Anyway, I don't think I have to say much more to tell you how much we liked this baked brie. Not only did I love its sweet and nutty flavor, but I also was excited about the ease of prepping it. Really, the hardest part was letting it set for 30 minutes before digging into it! (Which I did not do, as obvious by the photo of the cheese gushing out.)
I think you'll find this can be a great addition to your holiday appetizer spread, or even later for a football playoff party!
One Pennies on a Platter reader will win:
- Fisher Chef's Naturals Slivered Almonds
- Fisher Chef's Naturals Pecan Halves
- Fisher Chef's Naturals Walnut Halves & Pieces
- Food Network 5-Piece Stainless Steel Measuring Cups
- Food Network Silicone Spatula
- OXO Whisk
- Wood Cutting Board
- Mandatory entry: Leave a comment attached to this post telling me your favorite kind of nut (even if it is your husband or your crazy mother-in-law! ha!). Please leave your email address in the field provided. If you are reading this through email, you must visit the blog website to leave your comment.
- Optional extra entry #1: Follow Chef Alex on Twitter (@guarnaschelli). Come back and leave a separate comment that you do with your Twitter handle.
- Optional extra entry #2: "Like" Fisher Nuts on Facebook and leave a separate comment below that you do.
- Up to two (2) extra entries allowed. Maximum three (3) total entries.
- Giveaway is open to US residents only.
- Contest closes Wednesday, December 12th at 10:00PM EST.
- Winner will be announced at the top of this post. Winner will also be notified by email. If a response is not received within 1 week of being notified, a new winner will be chosen.
Not only do you have this opportunity to win a nice prize, but head on over Mom It Forward to register for a Twitter party with Chef Alex tomorrow where she will be sharing more tips for cooking with nuts, and for a chance to win another Cooking with Nuts prize package.
Disclosure: I am working with Fisher to share Chef Alex Guarnaschelli's recipes using Fisher Nuts and tools they provided. However, my opinions are entirely my own and I have not been paid to publish positive comments.
Cranberry Toasted Almond Brie en Croûte + Fisher Nuts Giveaway!
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry , thawed
- 1/2 cup whole cranberry sauce , mashed and divided
- 1/4 cup dried sweetened cranberries , divided
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds , divided
- 1 round (8 oz.) Brie cheese
- Egg wash (1 egg, lightly beat with 1 Tablespoon water)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place the rack in the center of the oven.
- Layer the almonds in a single layer on an ungreased rimmed baking sheet. Toast for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden. Set aside.
- Raise the oven temperature to 400 degrees F.
- Unfold the pastry sheet and set on a lightly floured surface. Roll out to form a 12-inch square. Cut the corners to make a circle.
- Spread half of the cranberry sauce in the center of the circle to match the size of the Brie round. Sprinkle with 2 Tablespoons each of the dried cranberries and toasted almonds.
- Place the Brie round over the sauce, then top with the rest of the cranberry sauce, and 2 more Tablespoons of the dried cranberries and almonds. Brush the ends of the pastry with the egg wash, then fold up over the Brie to completely cover. Pinch the seams to seal, then brush with more egg wash.
- Place seam side up onto a baking sheet. Brush entire round with egg wash. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden and cheese begins to melt.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle top with rest of almonds. Let rest for 30 minutes before serving. Serve with crackers or crusty bread.
- Source: Adapted from Fisher Nuts