This Fresh Salsa and Cream Cheese Pizza is a perfect lunch or party appetizer. This veggie pizza features salsa sprinkled over top a layer of garlic-infused cream cheese, topped with avocado slices with a crust made from refrigerated crescent dough.
I almost gave up when trying this recipe. It didn't sound appetizing after I started making it. When looking at the ingredients and steps, I was thinking to myself "how in the world is this going to taste good?" I even looked at Ben and said "I think I'm going to give up and just make pepperoni pizza instead." Ha!
I'm so so so so so so so SOOOOO glad I persevered and kept on going, because this turned out to be one of our favorite lunches. My purpose for making this was originally to test it out for a Super Bowl appetizer idea. Well, folks, it definitely is perfect as a party appetizer, but it is also wonderful as a light, yet filling, lunch.
Full of fresh ingredients and a flaky crescent dough for the crust, you do not want to pass up this recipe. If you are still searching for Super Bowl ideas, add this to your list! It maybe seem like a lot of chopping, but I just view it as therapy time. 😉 However, despite the chopping, this does come together quickly.
Fresh Salsa & Cream Cheese Pizza
- 1 package (8 oz.) refrigerated crescent rolls
- 1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro , divided
- 3 Roma tomatoes , seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup seeded and diced green bell pepper
- 2 Tablespoons peeled and diced red onion
- juice from half a lime
- Salt and black pepper , to taste
- 1 ripe avocado , peeled, pitted and thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Unroll the crescent dough and place on a baking stone or a large parchment lined baking sheet. Pinch the seams to seal, then roll the dough until thin and into a large rectangle. (Alternatively, you can separate the dough triangles and arrange into a circle with the points in the center and wide ends toward the outer edge. Then spread the triangles so the sides meet and roll to create a round pizza while pinching the seams together.) Place in the preheated oven and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden. Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
- In a small bowl, mix together the cream cheese, garlic powder and 2 Tablespoons of the cilantro. Spread evenly over the surface of the cooled crescent dough crust.
- In a medium bowl, toss together the tomatoes, green bell pepper, red onion lime juice and remaining cilantro. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Sprinkle evenly over the cream cheese layer. Top with the avocado slices. Slices into squares and serve.
- Recipe Source: The Pampered Chef