This lettuce-free Greek Village Salad is a staple of nearly every Greek lunch and dinner. Packed with vegetables and light on dressing, it is a healthy and wholesome dish that anyone can feel good about.
Today I am teaming up with television host and now cookbook author, Debbie Matenopoulos, to promote her new book, "It's All Greek To Me". She's visiting us today on her summer blog tour and offering one of you a chance to win a copy!
In "It's All Greek To Me", you will find traditional Greek recipes that, in turn, are healthy and delicious. Debbie shares family recipes that helped her boost her health while giving new meaning to sharing a home-cooked meal with friends and family.
We enjoyed this Horiatki Salata (Greek Village Salad) recipe from the cookbook last night with our dinner. I love Greek food, and many other Mediterranean fare. We feel good after eating it, and find it as a nutritional option for home-cooked meals. After flipping through more of the pages in "It's All Greek To Me," I know we will enjoy numerous more of Debbie's recipes.
For your chance to win a copy of "It's All Greek To Me", please use the giveaway widget below the recipe. Open to US and Canada residents only. Contest closes Sunday, July 27th.
Greek Village Salad
- 1 seedless English cucumber , peeled and sliced
- 4 large ripe tomatoes , sliced into wedges
- 1 large red onion , peeled and sliced
- 1 large green bell pepper , seeded and sliced
- 1 cup Kalamata olives
- 1 teaspoon dried Oregano leaves
- 2 to 3 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 lb block feta-cheese , sliced lengthwise
- Lemon wedges to serve with salad
- In a large bowl, toss together the cucumber, tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, and olives. Crush the oregano leaves in your hand until fragrant then sprinkle over the vegetables. Drizzle the lemon juice and olive oil into the bowl, then toss. Let set for 20 minutes to let the flavors soak. Serve onto individual plates and top each salad with a slice or two of the feta cheese. Serve with lemon wedges on the side.
- Recipe Source: It's All Greek To Me by Debbie Matenopoulos