A light and easy creamy cauliflower soup that’s low calorie without giving up any of it’s satisfying taste. A great meatless meal ready in less than 30 minutes!
I’ve been watching my calories intake again for the last couple of weeks. This means I’m also exploring new meatless meal ideas that my whole family will enjoy. Creamy cauliflower soup can be made with the extras of sour cream, cream cheese, bacon, cheddar, etc. etc. What I wanted was a creamy soup without all of those extra fattening add-ins. This recipe fits the bill — including only a simple roux (flour and butter melted together), cauliflower, onions and the broth.
Serve this soup alongside an entree, or enjoy it as a meal in itself. My kids really like it, too! I will confess, though, that I didn’t tell them it was cauliflower soup until after they ate it. Up until they licked their bowl clean, I called it “potato soup”. 😉 I’m sneaky like that!
You do need an immersion blender for this recipe. If you do not have one, I highly recommend getting one because it will open your world to more soups and other recipes. They are not very expensive and do not take up much room for storage. I’ve had mine for years and still love it.
You could, I guess, carefully transfer the soup to a blender instead. But, that would cause a huge mess and it’s quite dangerous to transfer such hot liquid. So, nevermind, I say you can’t do that and instead need to go get yourself an immersion blender.
This recipe is a great base to adding more vegetables as you desire. You can cut up carrots or celery to add in, or maybe you want to cheat on your diet for one night and stir in some shredded cheddar and bacon. I love this soup just as it’s written below, but you can have it your way as you like! 🙂
Click here for a tutorial on how to cut a head of cauliflower into florets.
One year ago: Pecan Crusted Apple Butter & Bacon Cheese Ball
Three years ago: Strawberry Pretzel Bars
Four years ago: Shaved Asparagus Pizza
Five years ago: Freezable Lemon Bars
Six years ago: Italian Doughnuts
Light Creamy Cauliflower Soup
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or you can use chicken broth)
- 1 medium head white cauliflower , cut into florets
- 1 half yellow onion , peeled and chopped
- salt and pepper , to taste
- In a large sauce pan, melt the butter over low heat. Stir in the flour and continue to heat while stirring another 2 minutes. Pour in the broth, then mix in the onions and cauliflower. Increase the heat to medium and allow to come to a boil. Cover and turn down heat to medium low. Let simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Puree with an immersion blender until vegetables are blended and soup is smooth.
- Recipe source: Skinnytaste
Disclosure: There are affiliate links in this post.