Start your day off right with a zesty breakfast like this Mexican Egg Skillet. The perfect breakfast for Cinco de Mayo!
You have one more day to plan your Cinco de Mayo menu. Why not start it off with a simply delicious breakfast and make this Mexican Egg Skillet? Ben and I would always order from the skillet menu at our favorite breakfast place back in Illinois. The one we ordered most often included potatoes, ham, mushrooms, peppers…the works! This particular recipe is a great base where you will find you can add whatever tickles your fancy. To keep with the Mexican theme, some chopped avocados would be a perfect garnish, along with a drizzle of hot sauce.
What are your plans for Cinco de Mayo? Maybe some chips and guacamole, with a refreshing margarita? 🙂
Mexican Egg Skillet
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 yellow onion chopped
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- Chili powder to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Salsa optional
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup shredded Mexican-blend or taco cheese
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté the onion and bell pepper for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the mushrooms and cook an additional 5 minutes. Season with chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Push the vegetables to the edges of the skillet to make room for the eggs. Break the eggs into the skillet and cook to desired doneness. Sprinkle the shredded cheese over the top of the eggs and vegetables.
- Cover the skillet and cook for 1 minute or until the cheese is melted. Serve immediately with salsa, if desired.