In just 30 minutes you can make these mini pecan pies for your holiday party! The perfect finger food dessert!
It’s always nice to serve finger food desserts that are different than cookies and brownies. These pecan pie bites are a great way to allow your guests a taste of pie without a fork and plate! Finger food sweets at its best!
To make these mini pecan pies, use refrigerated pie crusts. Two pie crusts come in a box (like Pillsbury’s refrigerated pie crusts) and allow to thaw according to the packages directions. Use a 3-inch round cookie cutter to cut out rounds for the mini crusts. I like to make it pretty by using my scalloped cookie cutter, but you don’t have to!
You do not need a special tart pan to make these. Grab your nonstick mini muffin pan and flip it upside down! Yes, upside down! You’ll place the dough rounds on the outside of the muffin cups and bake them that way. This creates a larger tart-sized crust than if you tried to line the inside of the muffin cups and no special pans required!
You can prepare these mini pecan pies up to 3 days in advance so they’re ready in a pinch. That way, on party day you only need to worry about taking them out of the fridge and placing them on a pretty platter.
I know you’ll LOVE these mini pecan pies! You’ll especially love having a finger food dessert option that goes beyond traditional cookies and cupcakes. Pie at your finger tips!
Mini Pecan Pies
- 2 refrigerated pie crusts , from 1 box and thawed to package directions
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups pecan halves , chopped
- 16 pecan halves
For the crust:
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Unroll 1 pie crust on clean work surface. Use 3-inch round or scalloped cookie cutter to cut 8 rounds. Place on outsides of cups of upside-down nonstick mini muffin pan, skipping every other one. Repeat with second crust.
- Bake 8 minutes or until golden. Cool 5 minutes then remove shells from pan to cooling rack to cool completely.
For the filling:
- Meanwhile, in medium pot, mix brown sugar, cornstarch and water. Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute; remove from heat. Stir in butter, vanilla and chopped pecans. Cool 10 minutes.
- Use a small cookie scoop to fill each shell with cooled pecan mixture. Top each with a pecan half. Serve immediately, or refrigerate and serve within 3 days.
- For a nuttier pie, add up to 1/2 cup additional chopped pecans.
- Re-roll scraps of dough to make more crusts.
This post was originally published on December 5, 2016 and updated on November 16, 2019.