Grilling days are in full swing, and this chicken is becoming one of my favorites for the summer. Although the finished dish may look like it was all prepared in the oven, don't be fooled. The chicken is grilled then quickly broiled after being topped with the prosciutto and cheese, while the mushroom sauce is thrown together on the stove top. I like to serve it with some grilled fresh veggies and a light side salad.
You won't believe the flavor this chicken produces. Supposedly it's reminiscent of a dish (Pollo Rosa Maria) at Carrabba's Italian Grill. I haven't had it, so I can't comment on the likeness, so you'll have to try it for yourself and let me know.
Prosciutto & Fontina Chicken with a Lemon Mushroom Cream Sauce
For the Sauce:
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 small onion , finely diced
- 8 oz sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic , minced or pressed
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper
- Basil leaves , sliced
For the Chicken:
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 thin slices Prosciutto (1 per chicken breast)
- 4 thin slices Fontina cheese (about 1 ounce per chicken breast)
For the sauce:
- Using a large non-stick skillet, heat the 2 Tablespoons of olive oil over medium high heat. Saute the onions until they begin to soften (about 3 minutes). Stir in the mushrooms and continue to cook over medium-high heat until mushrooms are soft, about 7-8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the butter and pour in the lemon juice. Stir well, until the butter is completely melted. Add the chicken broth, salt and pepper. Let the sauce simmer until slightly thickened (about 8-10 minutes). Cover and keep warm until ready to use.
For the chicken:
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, oregano and black pepper. Sprinkle over both sides of the chicken breasts, to coat. Grill the chicken over medium high heat until cooked through (about 8-10 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of the chicken.)
- Preheat the broiler (if your oven requires preheating) and adjust oven rack to the center position. Transfer the cooked chicken breasts to a sheet pan. Place one slice of prosciutto on top of each chicken breast, then follow up with a slice (or 1 ounce) of fontina cheese. Broil until the cheese is melted (only a few minutes).
- To serve, place the chicken on a large serving platter and spoon the mushroom sauce evenly over top. Garnish with the sliced basil leaves.
- Source: My Life as a Mrs