If you love crispy cookies, you will LOVE these Rice Krispie sugar cookies! This recipe is so easy you'll be making these over and over again!
People can be picky about crispy cookies. Some feel strongly about the texture and either love or hate them. Me? I just love cookies! Give me soft cookies, hard cookies, thin cookies or LARGE cookies. As long as it TASTES great, I'm all in. These Rice Krispie cookies fit into the most delicious thin and crispy sugar cookies EVER category.
This is my most "go-to" cookie recipe when needing a last minute idea to bring to a gathering. They are super easy to make and although they are thin, they are also hearty enough to transport without breaking. Everybody is surprised by how much they love them!
🧾 Grocery List
This recipe includes your basic sugar cookie ingredients with the addition of Rice Krispies cereal.
Gather these ingredients:
- Flour (2 cups)
- Rice Krispies cereal (1 1/2 cups)
- Unsalted butter (1 cup/2 sticks)
- Granulated sugar (3/4 cup)
- Vanilla (1 tablespoon)
- Baking soda (3/4 teaspoon)
- Salt (1/2 teaspoon)
Click here for full recipe ingredients and instructions.
👩🏽🍳 How to Make Rice Krispie Cookies
To make these cookies, simply combine the 6 ingredients, scoop into mounds and bake at 300°F.
These cookies are crunchy because they are double baked. This means, after they bake for the first 15 minutes, you remove them from the oven and flatten them with a spatula then bake another 25 minutes. This longer baking time turns out a crispier cookie.
In order to make the cookies the same size, I use my medium cookie scoop. I also space the cookies apart on the baking sheet at least 2 to 3 inches so there is room for them to spread and evenly bake.
📖 Tutu's Old Hawaiian Cookie Recipe
The original recipe for these cookies comes from a Hawaiian grandmother ("Tutu"). As the story goes, she would sell these cookies at a local farmers market allowing only 1 bag per customer until she sold out. A customer asked her for the recipe and she told him not to share the recipe for 25 years. The years passed and he shared it with a publication which is how I eventually found it.
🍴 More Rice Krispies Recipes
- Birthday Cake Rice Krispies Treats
- Chocolate Covered Crispy Poppers
- Christmas Crunch Cookies
Rice Krispie Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter , at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Combine the vanilla with the baking soda and add to the butter/sugar mixture. Stir in the flour 1 cup at a time. Gently stire in the Rice Krispies. Do not over mix.
- Scoop 2-tablepoon sized mounds onto prepared baking sheets, making sure to space them at least 2 inches apart. Bake 15 minutes. Remove from oven and quickly but gently flatten with a spatula. Return to oven (rotating pans front to back, top to bottom) and bake an additional 25 minutes, until lightly golden and cracked on top.
- Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheet 8 minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.
- Nutrition information is an estimate only.
- Recipe adapted from Food and Wine