A simple and healthy potato soup with sausage and kale that is reminiscent of the familiar Zuppa Toscana at your favorite restaurant. This recipe can easily be Whole30 compliant and is full of flavor.
There are so many things I love about this soup. It's healthy, it's easy, it's flavorful, it smells good, and my kids will eat it. Yes, my kids will eat it. That's the first win in any recipe.
Sausage, Kale and Potato Soup is another dish we discovered when going through our Whole30 "diet" earlier this year and then added to our regular rotation because we liked it so much. To make it Whole30 approved, use ghee, compliant broth, coconut milk, and compliant sausage (or make your own...which is easy and I'll post a how-to some day).
The recipe below will instruct you through the Whole30 way. This is actually how I make it all the time, but I'm including ingredients for everyone who might not like coconut milk and doesn't need it Whole30 compliant.
If you are one who thinks you might not like it the Whole30 way, I encourage you to give it a try! I used to not like the taste of coconut, but I really do not think the coconut flavor is strong here. Plus, your tummy will probably feel better. It's such a lighter version and we feel really good after eating it.
You can cook this in any large pot. I use my handy Dutch Oven that my daddy bought for me years ago and I've put to great use. I love this one because it's heavy duty, pretty, and is much cheaper than that higher-end competing brand -- you know which one I'm talking about. 😉
Load up this soup even more with bacon, zucchini, cannellini beans, celery, carrots...etc. I keep it simple, but if these things are on hand it's nothing to just toss them right in! How do you like your Zuppa Toscana?
A few items that might help you with this recipe:
Dutch Oven (this one is cheaper and just as good as that more expensive brand)
Ghee (if you need it Whole30 compliant)
Homemade Chicken Broth recipe (store bought is just fine, but I also love my homemade version!)
Sausage, Kale and Potato Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter (use ghee for Whole30)
- 1 lb. ground Italian sausage (if using links, remove casings)
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 6-7 medium red potatoes unpeeled and cubed
- 1-2 cups milk or coconut milk (depending on the level of creaminess you want)
- large bunch kale rinsed and chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt the butter or ghee in a large stock pot or Dutch Oven over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook and crumble until browned.
- Stir in the onion and Italian seasoning, cook until the onions are just beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Pour in the chicken broth and add the potatoes. Bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low, cover and allow to simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut milk and cook another 5 minutes until potatoes are tender. Remove from heat and stir in the kale. Season with salt and pepper to taste.