Are you ready to make one of the most addicting dessert bars ever? These Scotcheroos have definitely become my favorite in just the short weeks since Thanksgiving break. When I was back in Chicago visiting friends, we had a cookie exchange party and this was one of the contributions. I fell in love instantly.
Although I know that I have had these before as a child, I never made them myself or even remember having them as an adult. I'm glad to tap back into my childhood once again, and now just make them whenever I want. 🙂
This is also one of the recipes we made together when I had the college group girls over to bake Christmas treats. It was a perfect addition to the list as it doesn't include using the oven, allowing us to bake other yummy cookies. And, of course you know I can't resist chocolate and peanut butter together, especially when butterscotch is also involved!!
- 6 cups Rice Krispies Cereal (or generic brand)
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 12 oz . bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 6 oz . butterscotch chips
- Place cereal and peanut butter in a large mixing bowl. Do not mix together yet; set aside.
- Heat the honey and sugar in a medium sauce pan until the sides are just boiling. Immediately remove from heat and pour into the bowl with the cereal and peanut butter. Mix with a wooden spoon until combined. Lightly press the mixture into a greased 13- x 9- inch pan.
- Melt the chocolate chips and butterscotch chips in a microwave safe bowl for about two minutes, stirring every 30 seconds. Stir until melted and smooth. Spread evenly on top of the cereal mixture in the pan. Let cool until hardened before slicing into bars. (If the chocolate doesn't harden, you can refrigerate for an hour.) Store covered at room temperature.