Simon really turned one month old on the 17th, which means I'm a little late with this update. I'm not sure if I'll do updates every month, but it is kind of fun to share with you and keep this little journal of his growth.
- He is growing like crazy. We haven't had a doctor's appointment since 2 weeks old, where he was 8lb 2oz (up from the 7lb 9oz at birth!), so I don't have his official weight right now. But, the last time I stepped on the scale with him (about two weeks ago) he weighed almost 10 pounds. Good job, buddy!
- The other day, he started smiling for the first time... real smiles! This only happens for a very brief moment in the mornings, and only when I'm sort of forcing it out of him. You know, right in his face, making crazy sounds with my mouth and tickling his little neck. 🙂
- Simon is formula fed. Nursing didn't go well at all with Judah, so I decided not to even try this time with Simon. I have to say, it was the best decision ever. (Haters will hate.) Transitioning to a second child has been much easier than I ever imagined, and I attribute a lot of that to not having to deal with breast-feeding. I'm not trying to say that everyone should make this same decision, or that anyone should make such a decision based on making it easier for themselves (selfish!). It's just how it has worked for me, and it's been great! Anyway, he is eating 4 ounces every 3-4 hours, and about 24-27 ounces in one full day.
- He sleeps SO well! At first, we were waiting to put him down for bed after his 10PM feeding, so it would be around 11PM or after by the time he was asleep. I remember doing this with Judah for the first few months. But, recently, we decided to start putting him down earlier (usually between 8-9PM) and he is waking up the same time as when we put him down at 11PM! So, he sleeps 5-6 hours, wakes for a feeding (around 2-3AM) and then wakes up again between 5-6AM when Ben and I just get up for the day now. Hopefully this lasts until he decides to sleep right through the night! Soon, we'll try getting him to bed around 7PM, but I'm going to wait until after our trip next week to Austin.
- Daddy loves to take naps with Simon. The other day, I woke up from a nap and found this:I'm also trying to get him on a schedule during the day for napping. Right now, he'll take a couple hour nap in the morning and then random naps throughout the rest of the day. We had a great schedule with Judah, so I'm hoping we can do the same with Simon. It's a little early for that, but it won't be long until we're at a good schedule which means I can also get more work done during the day
- Judah still loves the little man! Still nothing negative from him about Simon. That day will come, I know, but until then I'm soaking up his sweetness and loving every moment that he climbs up on the sofa with me and Simon and says "That's okay, honey!" or "Can I hold him?" And, let me just add that Judah has also started telling Ben and I, quite often, "I love you so much!" Be still my heart!
You must watch this video of Judah playing with Simon. It cracks me up how he just stuffs the toys in his face. Make sure you see it through to the end, and you'll get a glimpse of Judah's new Power Ranger moves! 🙂