After a little prep and the quick help of Success® White Rice, you can have this Cajun red beans and rice dish slowly cooking in your crock pot, ready for a weeknight dinner for these busy back-to-school days.
Every once in a while, I like to try a new dish that is traditional to our new home state of Mississippi. When we first moved here, I made Jambalaya and Mississippi Mud Cake. I've conquered Chicken 'n Dumplings and even took a southern cooking class. Today, I'm telling you that I dove into the world of red beans and rice. It's not my favorite dish on this earth, but I enjoy that it's an inexpensive one, easy to whip up, and I always love a mound of rice on my plate!
You do need to soak the beans overnight, then quickly boil them for about 10 minutes in the morning before tossing them in the slow cooker. But, it then cooks all day while you're at work or running your errands. Then, the rice comes together very quickly, just a 10-minute boil on the stovetop or microwave, when using Success White Rice. Shaving 15 more minutes from getting dinner to the table to your hungry kids who've been studying hard at school... right? 😉 I like that no measuring is required when using Success Rice. And if you're not quite ready to serve dinner that quickly, the white rice can sit for up to 30 minutes in hot water, without the heat from the stove before being served, making it foolproof! Do you take any shortcuts when cooking dinners? Some are worth taking, and some may hurt the outcome of your dish. With Success Rice, the prep is very convenient without sacrificing its great taste or quality, making it an excellent source of complex carbohydrates and is gluten free, fat free, cholesterol free and sodium free! There are three additional varieties of Success Rice - Success Jasmine Rice, Success Basmati Rice, and Success Whole Grain Brown Rice. Success White Rice and Success Brown Rice come in two different sizes - 14 oz. or 32 oz. Until then, take a culinary visit to the Cajun south and try this red beans and rice recipe, using the convenience of both your slow cooker and Success Boil-in-Bag White Rice!
Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice
- 1 lb dried red kidney beans , rinsed and soaked in water overnight
- 3 celery ribs , chopped
- 1 green bell pepper , seeded and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper , seeded and chopped
- 1 yellow onion , chopped
- 3 garlic cloves , pressed
- 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 13 oz . smoked turkey sausage , thinly sliced (or andouille sausage)
- Cooked white rice
- Garnishes: hot sauce , sliced green onions, diced red onion
- Drain the beans and transfer to a medium-sized pot. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Let boil for at least 10 minutes. Drain and transfer to a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Add the celery, bell peppers, yellow onion, garlic cloves, Creole seasoning, bay leaves and chicken broth to the slow cooker. Stir to combine. Cook on high for 8 hours. When 2 hours are left, add the sausage.
- After the 8 hours of cooking, remove the bay leaves and transfer about 2 cups of the bean mixture into a bowl (avoiding any of the sausage). Mash with a fork. Return mashed bean mixture back to the slow cooker and stir to combine. Let cook on high for another 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare your rice and garnishes. Serve the bean and sausage mixture over the hot rice with optional garnishes.