Tiramisu was first introduced into my life when I was just a young kid. My family loves Italian food, and every year for my birthday we would eat at a local Italian restaurant where Tiramisu was my choice of dessert. This, combined with my infamous love for brownies, makes this Italian twist a perfect combination for my personal palate. 🙂
These brownies were inspired by my recent K-Cup Ambassador delivery that included most of the ingredients and kitchen tools needed for the recipe. One of the ingredients they supplied was a box of Italian Roast K-Cup packs by Barista Prima Coffeehouse used to soak the ladyfingers and also to sip alongside each delizioso bite. Barista Prima Coffeehouse offers an exclusive collection of K-Cup packs, including five more varieties: Italian Roast Decaf, Columbia, French Roast, and House Blend.
While we're talking about the coffee, let me give you this month's promotional code that is good for 15% off storewide at GreenMountainCoffee.com, and free shipping on orders containing at least one K-Cup pack of Barista Prima Coffeehouse brand. The code, valid now through May 31st, is BARISTA8166 and cannot be combined with any other keycode discount.
Now let's talk about these brownies!! The original recipe that I followed used up a lot of eggs and other ingredients in the brownie batter, but turned out a somewhat dry layer of chocolate (although they were a bit better the next day). So, I've altered the recipe to instead use a boxed brownie mix because I think the results will be much better, especially if you stir in a bunch of miniature chocolate chips! And, this saves you a few steps and ingredients.
The photo doesn't show it, but I served these with a drizzle of raspberry sauce to take it to the next level. Superb, I tell ya!
- 1 family size (9x13-inch pan) box, prepared brownie mix (using the cake-like instructions)
- 1 cup miniature chocolate chips
- 1 package (20 ct.) soft ladyfingers
- 1 cup brewed coffee
- 2 Tablespoons Dark Rum
- 8 oz . Mascarpone cheese , at room temperature
- 8 oz . cream cheese , at room temperature
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Raspberry Sauce or Preserves (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9x13-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- Prepare brownie mix according to the package directions for cake-like brownies. Stir in the chocolate chips and pour the batter, minus one cup, into the pan. Set the reserved one cup aside for later.
- Layer the ladyfingers upside down in a single layer on top of the brownie batter in the pan and gently push down. Combine the coffee and rum in a small bowl. Use a pastry brush to brush the ladyfingers until soaked.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the mascarpone cheese, cream cheese, sugar, egg whites and vanilla until smooth. Transfer to the pan and carefully spread over the ladyfingers until covered. Drop spoonfuls of the 1-cup reserved brownie batter onto the cream cheese layer and use a knife or toothpick to create marble swirls.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until the center is almost set and the brownies begin to pull away from the sides of the pan. Allow to completely cool in the pan before slicing and serving.
- Optional: Serve drizzled with raspberry sauce.
Full Disclosure: I am partnered with Green Mountain Coffee Family of Brands to serve as a K-Cup Ambassador and report on my first hand experiences of the Keurig brewer and a variety of K-Cup packs. In return, Green Mountain Coffee compensated me with a Keurig brewing system and monthly deliveries of K-Cup products. Although the products are supplied by Green Mountain Coffee, the views and opinions expressed are my own.