Corned Beef and Cabbage Pizza
A Saint Patrick's Day pizza!
- 1 recipe Perfect Pizza Crust , or store-bought pizza dough (2 crusts)
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups sliced green cabbage
- Salt (Kosher salt preferred)
- 1 teaspoon pickling spices , tied securely in a cheesecloth or paper coffee filter
- 1 large yellow potato , peeled and thinly sliced
- Freshly ground pepper
- Yellow corn meal
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 6 ounces sliced pre-cooked corned beef
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Place a pizza stone on a rack in the lower third of the oven. Place the other rack in the top third of the oven. Preheat to 500?F for at least 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, to prepare the toppings, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the cabbage, season with salt and cook until just soft, about 5 minutes. Pour in enough water to just cover the cabbage then drop in the pickling spices. Cover and simmer over low heat until the cabbage is tender, about 20 minutes.
While the cabbage is cooking, toss the potato slices with 2 tablespoons olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place the potatoes in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Roast in the preheated oven on the top-third rack for 10 - 15 minutes (watching closely to keep them from turning black); set aside to cool. Drain the cabbage in a strainer or colander and discard spices; set aside.
Form one pizza dough ball into a 12 to 14-inch round on parchment paper, or a pizza peel, scattered with yellow corn meal. If using the Perfect Pizza Crust, refer to this post for specific instructions. Brush the dough with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Sprinkle half of the mozzarella and Monterey jack cheeses on the crust. Next, layer the cabbage, the corned beef and then the potatoes. Top with freshly grated Parmesan. Carefully transfer the pizza to the preheated stone and bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until golden and crispy. Repeat with the remaining dough and toppings.
Source: The Food Network