My Favorite Blueberry Muffins

Blueberry Muffins 2Joy named these Brown Butter Blueberry Muffins, because the butter in this recipe is first quickly browned on the stove top.  I didn’t include this in my post title only because I didn’t want those of you unfamiliar with brown butter to hurriedly turn away.  To make brown butter, all you need to do is melt the butter in a skillet until it’s nutty in aroma and golden brown in color.  It takes just minutes.

But, more importantly, my friends, is that this is THE blueberry muffin recipe I’ve been searching for all my life.  It’s the perfect consistency, the perfect streusel topping, the perfect bite every time.  Thank you, Joy, for almost completing my life.  (If I can find Panera’s Pumpkin Muffin recipe, then, well…we’re even closer to life completion.)  :)

Blueberry Muffins

My Favorite Blueberry Muffins

Yield: 12 muffins

Serving Size: 1 muffin

My Favorite Blueberry Muffins

I substituted buttermilk for the milk in this recipe, which made for a brilliant muffin. Although, I've also used regular milk with great results.

For the muffins:
  • 7 Tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1/3 cup buttermilk (or regular milk)
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 large egg yolk
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups fresh blueberries (Can use frozen if thawed and drained first.)
  • For the streusel topping:
  • 3 Tablespoons very cold unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar

Adjust an oven rack to the upper third of the oven. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a muffin pan with 12 baking cups; set aside.

For the muffins:

Melt the 7 Tablespoons butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Do not stir right away, but keep an eye on it. After it's done crackling, it will turn a medium brown color and smell a little nutty. This means it's done. Remove from the heat right away and transfer to a bowl to cool.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, yolk, and vanilla until thoroughly incorporated. Stir in the brown butter.

In a separate medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the milk mixture all at once and stir gently. Carefully fold in the blueberries then divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin pan.

For the streusel topping:

Combine all three ingredients in a bowl and rub together with your fingers. Mix like this until the mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle evenly over the muffin batter in the cups.

Bake the muffins for 20 to 22 minutes, or until golden and crisp and passes the toothpick test. Cool in the muffin pan for 15 minutes before removing. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Source: Joy the Baker Cookbook

Notes

The muffins last at room temperature for up to 3 days, however, these freeze beautifully. Place on a baking sheet in a single layer and freeze for 1 hour, then transfer to a freezer bag to store up to 1 month. Thaw in the microwave for 10-15 seconds.

Comments

1. The crumb on the top of these muffins is to die for!

2. Hello,
    I like to try this recipe but I must recognize: don’t know what represent 7 tablespoons of the butter because in our market is in grams…
    Can you help me, please
    this measure in “tablespoons” is very convenient for flour, sugar… but for butter? :(
    many thanks!!
    PS- my child ador the muffins :)

Sorina

3. These look amazing, and I’m now convinced I NEED Joy’s cookbook!

4. Oh my gosh, I LOVE a muffin with crumbles on top. I SO need to make these!!

5. I have a blueberry muffin recipe I love, but I think I’m going to have to put it aside and try these. They look incredible!

6. Oh!!! Thank you, little baker-mom!!M

7. oh girl… i am a SUCKER for a good streusal topped muffin… making these bad boys STAT!!!!

8. Diane Hutchings says:

I will have to make these soon! I have always looked for a perfect blueberry muffin recipe, and I am sure that yours is it!!

9. These look positively perfect!

10. That streusel topping looks awesome. If you use frozen blueberries, will the color bleed into the batter?

11. Sweetsugarbelle says:

These are the prettiest bb muffins I have ever seen!!! No wonder they’re you’re fave!!!

12. These muffins look terrific. I have a container of blueberries in the freezer so these will be on the menu this week :)

13. These really do look like the perfect blueberry muffins!

14. These are absolutely delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

15. These look so cute that these could be easily become my favorite muffins too!

16. Made these this weekend, the best

17. easy breakfast recipes says:

Made this for a potluck and everybody was impressed. tasted really good for an easy to make breakfast/snack muffin.

18. Just finished making these.. This recipe is a knock out!

19. I was looking for a fantastic blueberry muffin and this was just perfect. I only had soy milk in the house and used it and it came out wonderful.

20. I think the portion of buttermilk is incorrect. I used the 1/3 cup stated, but used probably double that. Excellent muffins with that adjustment!!

• Hi Addie,
      The measurement of buttermilk is correct as listed (1/3 cup). The batter is supposed to be thick, so that you have to scoop it into the muffin cups. :) Glad it turned out well, anyway! But, I would suggest using 1/3 cup next time and seeing what you think. :)

21. I’m new to your Blog and I have already feel in love with everything that you have posted! Thank you for sharing your wonderful ideas!! I can’t wait to see more!!

22. I have been looking forever for a good blueberry muffin recipe. This is by far the best. The crumb topping makes these over the top good.

23. It if wasn’t 90 degrees today, I would totally be making these right this minute! As soon as it cools down tonight, I’ll be trying this recipe for sure. Thank you so much for sharing it with all of us!

24. I found you through Pinterest and made these this morning. They are AMAZING! My husband and kids plowed through them. I’m pretty sure I’m going to make another batch this afternoon and freeze them for later. If they make it that far. Thanks for the awesome recipe!

25. Marsha Heidebrink says:

This will be my “go to” blueberry muffie recipe from now on! The brown butter gives it an added dimension to the taste and texture, I believe! Thank You for sharing.

26. These are delicious. I’ve made them three times now and reviewed your post on my blog. Thanks! http://talenttoplay.blogspot.com/2013/08/scrumptious-sunday-brown-butter.html

27. A whole egg AND an additional egg yolk?

28. I certainly am going to try your recipe. FYI… if your blueberry’s are frozen you do not need to thaw them. You just take them from the freezer and dust them with a little flour, this keeps them from bleeding. Hope this little tip is helpful.

I tried this recipe yesterday. It was so easy and the muffins turned out so moist and scrumptious. Thanks for sharing I will use this recipe from now now. Thankfully yours.

Hello! These look soooo good! Can I make blueberry bread with this same recipe? How should I adjust cooking time? I ran out of muffin cups!

• Hi! I have never tried to make a loaf of bread with this recipe, but it seems like it could work. I would bake it a bit longer. I would start with 30-35 minutes, and then check it every 5 minutes after that. It could take much longer, or not. I really don’t know… But, if you do it, please come back and let us know how long it took for you and how it turned out! :)

• I make a small loaf almost every time I make these. As long as utbis a smaller bread pan (not too deep), they turn out wonderful. My husband prefers the loaf to muffins. He says he gets more of the crumbly topping that way ;)

31. I am not a muffin fan, but these are absolutely DELICIOUS ! I made the these last night and my husband and grandsons loved them too. I took them to work and by 9 am the were totally gone ;). Do you think and other fruit would work in these too?
    Thanks for sharing this recipe!! Love …love … love… it.

32. We have been searching forever for “the perfect blueberry muffin” We have finally found it……thank you, we love them……..