These Banana Oat Chocolate Chip Breakfast Cookies are a sweet treat to start your day or as a pick-me-up snack in the late afternoon. One of my favorite cookies!
Technically I do not need to call these “breakfast” cookies. Let’s be real. They’re cookies. But, for some reason I feel like if I title it as breakfast, then I no longer have to feel guilty about eating a cookie for breakfast. I mean, we eat chocolate chip banana bread in the mornings, right? Why not a chocolate chip banana cookie? With oats and nuts! That’s breakfast!
I have brought these a few times to different breakfast events and they get eaten right up! No one has stopped me to say “Nikki! How dare you serve cookies for breakfast?!”
If I want to be REAL honest… I have snuck my fair share of regular cookies that are definitely not breakfast cookies (like Oatmeal Creme Pies) for a quick bite in the morning. At least these rise above that in nutritional value! 😉
I absolutely love these cookies and know you will, too. If you bake them the right amount of time, they will have a perfectly crisp outer edge while the inside stays chewy. They are absolutely amazing warm out of the oven, but hold up very well for a couple of days. Or, save a dozen in the freezer for later use.
Banana Oat Chocolate Chip Breakfast Cookies
- 1/2 cup mashed banana
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter , softened
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips , divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone liner.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash the bananas and lemon juice with the paddle attachment. Add the butter and sugars. Beat until fully incorporated. Mix in the egg and vanilla.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the flour, oats, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Slowly add to the wet ingredients with the mixer on low speed, until just combined. Fold in the pecans and 3/4 cups of the chocolate chips.
- Use a medium sized cookie scoop to spoon dough onto baking sheets, placing 2 inches apart. Use the remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips to place on top of each dough ball. Bake for 12 minutes, or until the edges are golden and just browned. Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheet for 8 minutes then transfer to a rack to cool completely.