This one-skillet BBQ Beef Casserole with a cornbread dressing is SO good and very convenient for a quick weeknight dinner!
Casserole?! Yes, a casserole. Sorry, this one just has to be shared. I know a few people who have quite the aversion to casseroles. I really do not understand why as casseroles are usually easy to throw together (plus!) and they typically are big enough to feed a small crowd (double plus!).
However, there are some casseroles out there that are completely unappetizing, so I can relate there. I just don’t get it when a friend tells me “ewww…I don’t like casseroles” because all casseroles are completely different! So I think it’s the concept of casseroles they don’t like. You know, just throwing a bunch of ingredients together and eating them combined. Hey, if the combination fits, I’m all about it! 🙂
This BBQ Beef Casserole was given to us right after Judah was born. Our friends provided 3 weeks of meals for us and this was one of them. (We have amazing friends by the way!) If I remember right, I think the friend who gave us this meal originally found the recipe on AllRecipes.com. Unfortunately, I do not have a link to it, but she wrote it down for me as best as she could remember.
My mom was still visiting when we ate this BBQ Beef Casserole. She loved it so much that we had to make it again a few days later.
Tips for Making BBQ Beef Casserole
- You might be tempted to double the amount of cornbread, but don’t! I did this before and it was an utter mess. It might seem like there is not enough dough, but when it bakes it creates a beautiful bloom of cornbread over the entire top of the casserole.
- I always use my 12-inch cast iron skillet for this recipe because it can go straight to the oven. It’s the perfect size and I’m only dirtying the one skillet and a small bowl to mix up the Jiffy.
- Check this right at 15 minutes because it will probably be done by then! If it’s golden, it’s DONE.
- Use your favorite barbecue sauce, because you’ll definitely taste the flavor.
This BBQ Beef Casserole is a wonderful dinner to serve to your family, and includes everything in one — the veggies, meat and bread! Top it off with a yummy dessert, like my Oatmeal Lemon Cream Bars!
BBQ Beef Casserole
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 large onion , diced
- 1 (15.25 ounces) can sweet corn, drained
- 1 (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, partially drained
- 1/2 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce
- 1 box Jiffy corn bread mix
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar or Mexican flavored cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Brown beef and onions in a large oven-proof skillet over medium high heat. (I use my 12-inch cast iron skillet). Drain excess oil. Add corn and tomatoes. Cook until veggies are soft (about 5 minutes). Meanwhile, using the 1 egg and 1/3 cup milk, mix the corn bread according to the package directions. Set aside to let rise for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove the meat mixture from the heat and mix in BBQ sauce and cheese. If not using oven-proof skillet, pour into a 9x9-inch casserole dish. Spread the cornbread mixture evenly over the top of the casserole. Bake for 15 – 20 minutes, or until cornbread is golden brown and passes the toothpick test.