These buffalo chicken bites are an appetizer favorite! All the flavors of buffalo chicken dip rolled into balls and baked with a crispy cornflakes coating.
Buffalo Chicken Bites are a mixture of shredded chicken, hot sauce, cream cheese rolled into bite-sized balls, then coated with flour, eggs and cornflakes cereal. My recipe for buffalo chicken cheese bites are baked in the oven, so they are lighter and healthier than your typical cheese balls.
As an Amazon affiliate, I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases.
These buffalo chicken bites have become a staple in our home for game day recipes. We also like eating them as a meal!
One of the best things about this appetizer, is you can prepare these in the morning and keep them in the fridge until ready to bake. Or, make them days ahead and freeze them! If you freeze them, just bake them for about 5 minutes longer. (Yes, I even tested it!)
I originally saw this recipe from Stephanie at Macaroni and Cheesecake, who was brilliant for baking them instead of frying in oil. This is the method I went with since they still end up crispy. (UPDATE: I now love air frying these! Click here for the recipe.) Additionally, I decided to dip them in crushed cornflakes cereal rather than bread crumbs, since it works so well for my favorite Chicken Strips. I'm glad I made this change because the cornflakes add a crunchy texture and a sweet flavor.
If you love the taste of buffalo sauce, I recommend adding more of the hot sauce to the recipe. The original calls for only ¼ cup, but I found myself adding at least ½ cup and could still possibly use a little more. My changes are reflected in my adaptation of the recipe below.
Dip these puppies in ranch or blue cheese dressing for a finishing touch. If you make these, I'll guarantee the football game will be much more enjoyable and you'll have everyone inviting themselves over for the next game!
Buffalo Chicken Bites
- 4 oz. cream cheese , softened
- ½ cup hot sauce
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken , about 1 store-bought rotisserie chicken
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup sliced green onions
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs , lightly beaten
- 4 cups Corn Flakes cereal , crushed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix cream cheese and hot sauce until combined. Stir in the chicken, cheddar cheese and green onions.
- Using a medium cookie scoop, spoon out the chicken mixture and roll into about 2 inch balls. Place on a plate or separate baking sheet (not lined) until ready to dip.
- In three separate dishes, set out the flour, eggs and crushed cornflakes. Dip each chicken ball first into the flour, then the egg and ending with the cornflakes. Place on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Serve warm with ranch or blue cheese dressing.
- If freezing for later, place the coated chicken bites onto the parchment lined baking sheet and flash freeze for 20 minutes. Transfer to a freezer bag and store in the freezer until ready. To bake, place the frozen chicken balls back on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 350°F for 25 to 30 minutes, until crispy and golden brown.
- Nutrition information is an estimate and based on 2 to 3 bites per serving.
Hungry for more?
Sign up to receive an email each time I have a new recipe or
follow me on Instagram or Facebook for behind the scenes!