Cheese and Olive Empanadillas are put together with puff pastry for an empanada appetizer.
When I first saw this recipe, I backed away because it included canned anchovies...yuck! But, I was so wanting to make these that I kept the recipe and just made a few alterations, including eliminating the anchovies and replacing with artichokes (because I love artichokes.)
These have a unique and very flavorful taste. I loved them because they were different. You can prep these a day in advance and bake when you're ready! If you just use pre-made frozen puff pastry, they are a cinch to put together. They look so cute on the serving platter, too!
This is another dish you can serve at your Super Bowl party this weekend, that will wow your guests and have them asking "what's in these!?"
Cheese & Olives Empanadillas
- 1 - 2 cups shredded Mexican flavor cheese
- ½ cup green olives chopped
- 7 oz canned artichokes drained and chopped (½ of 13.75 oz can)
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- flour for dusting
- 4 sheets frozen puff pastry
- egg glaze egg yolk + 1 tablespoon water, beaten
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine all chopped ingredients in a bowl and mix gently. Stir in the cheese and tomato paste.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out puff pastry. Cut into circles about 3 ¼-inch diameter.
- Place 1 teaspoon of prepared filling equally in the center of each pastry circle. Dampen the edges with water and fold over in half, sealing the edges with a fork. You can store the pastries in the refrigerator at this point until you are ready to bake them.
- Place the pastries onto parchment-lined baking sheets. Brush each with egg wash and bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown and well risen. Serve piping hot, warm or cold.