Thick slices of red peppers are stuffed with a cheesy, yet lightened up version of chicken alfredo then topped with shredded Italian cheese and broiled to a golden bubbly perfection. Serve these Chicken Alfredo Red Pepper Rings as a heavy appetizer or a light weeknight meal.
This recipe came about as a challenge from Sargento Cheese and The Food Network. Do you watch the TV show, Chopped? It's a cooking contest where the contestants are given the ingredients they need to use and make up a creative dish. It's totally intense because there is a time limit and the chefs don't even know their ingredient list until the last minute. So, there's no pre-planning involved!
Sargento Cheese challenged me to get Chopped At Home by creating a delicious recipe in my own kitchen using four ingredients they chose: red peppers, chicken breasts, Greek yogurt, and Sargento® Chef Blends™ Shredded 6 Cheese Italian.
I came up with these Chicken Alfredo Red Pepper Rings for a quick weeknight meal option. They are crazy delicious and such an easy recipe!
We absolutely love these cheesy chicken red pepper rings! Although we've only had them for dinner, they would be a fantastic appetizer idea, too. The red pepper rings broil nicely to a delicately crisp perfection, and the two layers of cheese will make anyone fall in love. (I broiled a base layer of the shredded cheese in each pepper ring to help keep in the filling).
Believe it or not, these fancy shmancy looking Chicken Alfredo Red Pepper Rings are a quick weeknight meal if you have your chicken already cooked and shredded. I prepare shredded chicken once a month and store it in 2 cup portions in my freezer. I have many chicken recipes that come together within minutes because I can skip cooking the chicken part. That's perfect meal planning, in my opinion!
Chicken Alfredo Red Pepper Rings
- 4 red peppers
- 1 tablespoon olive oil , plus more for brushing peppers
- 6 ounces Sargento® Chef Blends™ Shredded 6 Cheese Italian
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken breasts
- fresh parsley , chopped (for garnish)
- Preheat the broiler on high. Line a baking sheet with foil and grease with cooking spray; set aside.
- Cut off the ends of the red peppers. Slice the peppers into thick rings (about 2-3 rings for each pepper). Discard the pulp and seeds. Place each ring onto the lined baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Sprinkle 1-2 tablespoons of the shredded cheese to create a thin layer in each ring. Broil for 5-7 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly and golden. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Press in the garlic and cook for 1 minute, until fragrant. Stir in the chicken stock, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil and let simmer until slightly reduced. Remove from heat. Whisk in Parmesan, yogurt and nutmeg. Toss in the shredded chicken until coated.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the chicken alfredo into each pepper ring, dividing the mixture evenly. Sprinkle another tablespoon of the shredded cheese on top of each ring. Return to the oven and broil another 3-5 minutes, until cheese is golden. Serve immediately.
This recipe was originally published on February 19, 2015. Updated on May 15, 2019.
Pin this to your favorite recipe board.