I’m so excited! Today I’m heading up to San Francisco to meet up with a *bunch* of fellow food bloggers for the 3rd annual Foodbuzz Festival. We’ll be wining and dining, and attending break-out sessions to learn from the best of the best. I’ve never been to San Francisco, yet this month I’ll find myself there not once, but TWICE! In the middle of the month, Ben and I will be partially vacationing there while he attends a theology conference for a couple of the days. I think I’ll schedule a massage while he’s in his meetings! 🙂
Since I’ll be rooming with one of my real-world food blogging friends this weekend, I thought it’d be fun to post a recipe of hers that my family enjoyed this week. I’ve been wanting to make a chicken enchilada soup for a long time now, ever since one of my good friends in Illinois (shout-out to T!) introduced it to me. I never had a chance to get her recipe before we moved, so when Joelen posted this one, I knew I had to give it a try.
We’ll be having this meal many times this chilly season because it consists of ingredients I can whip together quickly, throw into the slow cooker and forget about until chow time. And, as an added bonus, it doesn’t call for any “cream-of-whatever” soup! The original calls for a thickening agent, but I forgot to add it and didn’t miss it. I altered the ingredient list to make it optional.
On another note, some of you have asked for a photo of Judah in his Halloween costume. I finally got around to uploading our photos from that day, and here is one of my favorites. My own little personal chef! During the actual trick-or-treating, we added a mustache…SO cute! (I figured this will probably be the last year I can pick out his Halloween costume.) 🙂
Have a great weekend!
Chicken Enchilada Soup
For the Soup:
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1 can (15 ounce) dark kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14.5 ounce) Rotel diced tomatoes and jalapenos
- 1 can (14.5 ounce) sweet corn, drained
- 1/2 cup onion , chopped
- 1/2 cup bell pepper , diced
- 1 (16 ounce) can green enchilada sauce
- 3 boneless , skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch , mixed with 3 tablespoons cold water (optional thickener)
For the Garnish:
- shredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- diced avocado
- crushed tortilla chips
- Combine all soup ingredients, except the chicken and cornstarch, in a slow cooker insert and stir. Gently add the chicken. Cover and cook on low heat for 6 to 8 hours or on high heat for 3 to 4 hours.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board or plate and shred into bite-sized pieces. Add the chicken back into the soup.
- Optional: In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and water to make a slurry; stir into the soup to thicken slightly.
- To serve, top with your choice of garnishes.
- Source: Adapted from What's Cookin, Chicago?