Get your meat, grains and greens all in one with this colorful Chicken Rice Casserole dish.
We are in Michigan this week visiting my family. We're staying with my parents. My sister, her husband and their two kids and two dogs are living with my parents right now while transitioning from a Colorado move. Add my little college-aged sister to the math, and we have a FULL house.
I'm not gonna lie, one of the reasons I decided to schedule this recipe for today is so I would have it available so I can make it for everyone for dinner while here. With such a chaotic and crazy house, we need EASY dishes that feed a lot of people. But, obviously, we'll be eating our way around Grand Rapids, too!
If you do not already prepare cooked shredded chicken at least once per month to keep in the freezer, start now! It is one of the best meal prepping steps I do every single month. Here is a recipe and tutorial on my favorite shredded chicken that you can freeze and use in any dish calling for cooked chicken.
As long as you have your shredded chicken ready and your rice cooked (go for the quick cook stuff, it's perfect!), this dish comes together in a jiffy! The perfect weeknight meal!
Chicken Rice Green Bean Casserole
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion , chopped
- 3 cups cooked rice (I prefer wild rice)
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- 2 (14.5 oz.) cans French-style green beans, drained
- 1 (4 oz.) jar diced pimentos
- 1 (10.75 oz.) cream of celery or chicken or mushroom soup
- 1 cup mayonnaise (or Greek Yogurt)
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until just soft, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and let cool. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients into the bowl with the onions, until combined. Spread into a 9x13-inch baking dish. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Recipe source: Adapted from Paula Deen's Southern Cooking Bible