These next couple of weeks I'm predicting you'll see quite a few sweets posted here. I'll admit, it's not only because I'm making them for holiday parties or gift baskets, but partially because when winter hits my sweet tooth enhances. 🙂
The other day I was thinking about how I haven't been using a couple of my cookbooks that I've had for a few years. At the same time, I was craving some chocolate cookies. So, I dusted off one of the books, opened it up to the cookies section and baked the first chocolate recipe I found where I had everything on hand. I should've known that this recipe would be a bust just by looking at the list of ingredients. They were like eating chalk! Fail.
The cookbook I chose to use that day is a compilation of recipes from members of a certain church. I usually really like this kind of collection as they are tried and true dishes that you probably have enjoyed many times at a church potluck or gathering. Keeping this in mind, I decided to continue on to the next cookie recipe in this book (again, where I had all ingredients on hand).
Enter these Chocolate Chip Treasure Cookies. Oh my! I'm so glad the previous chocolate cookies were a fail so it forced me to try these instead! It was interesting to me that it included graham cracker crumbs, but I think it is the "treasure" part of these cookies. The combination of coconut and chocolate chips with the sweetness from the condensed milk and graham crackers had me at "hello." Again, I omitted the walnuts (can you tell I'm not a big walnut fan?) but will still include it in the recipe below.
Chocolate Chip Treasure Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 14 oz . can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup butter , softened
- 1 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 12 oz . package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, stir together the graham cracker crumbs, flour and baking powder; set aside. In a large mixer bowl fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the condensed milk and butter until smooth. Add the graham cracker mixture; mix well. Stir in the coconut, chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Drop tablespoons of dough onto cookie sheet. Bake 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Source: Sara Mungons via Highland Hills Baptist Church Cookbook, 2000