This is the best chocolate chip banana bread loaded with melty chocolate chips and very ripe bananas. Super moist and deliciously sweet!
Every time my mother in law visits, she brings this amazing chocolate chip banana bread with her. I've made this recipe numerous times over the years, but her special touch makes it even better. I think I'm just one of those people that really enjoys other peoples' cooking. Whatever the case, this recipe is a keeper!
Best Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe
Our family has enjoyed this banana bread recipe forever now. Most of the time we omit the walnuts if we don't have them on hand, and it still is fabulous.
What makes this the best? It makes not just one, but TWO loaves so we can freeze one for later, or use for french toast.
Ingredients for Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
(full printable recipe at end of this post)
I like to focus on simple ingredients that are easily accessible. Here's what you need to make this banana bread recipe:
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Ripe bananas
- Lemon juice
- Chocolate chips
- Walnuts (optional)
I usually omit the walnuts since I don't typically have them on hand. It's the chocolate chips in the recipe that really places this quick bread above the rest for me. You can also stir in pecans!
Use Up Ripe Bananas
Have ripe bananas and don't want to toss them? Make this banana bread! This recipe calls for 2 cups of mashed bananas, which is about 5 medium ripened bananas.
If your bananas aren't quite ripened enough yet, there are ways you can quickly ripen bananas for immediate use!
How to Mash Bananas
When you're working with very ripe bananas, it doesn't take much to mash them. Remove the bananas from their peel and into a bowl, and then simply mash the bananas with a fork. There is no need for any special tools.
Best Chocolate Chips for Banana Bread
The ripe bananas make this bread sweet on its own, so we use semi-sweet chocolate chips in this delicious banana bread recipe. You can use milk chocolate if you prefer, but I think you'll need to balance the sweet.
We typically use standard sized chocolate chips, depending on what we have on hand. Miniature chocolate chips work just as well, but you'll want to cut the measurement down to 1/2 cup.
Storage and Leftovers
To store banana bread, wrap in plastic wrap once completely cooled to room temperature on a cooling rack, and then store on the counter or in the fridge.
Banana bread also freezes very well, tightly wrapped in plastic wrap and sealed in a freezer bag. If you want to slowly snack on the loaf a slice at a time, I suggest slicing before freezing and then quickly flash freezing in a single layer before placing in a freezer bag so the slices do not stick together.
Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
You can easily make this banana bread into muffins. Use either a standard cupcake pan to make about 24 muffins. Reduce the baking time to 15 to 20 minutes.
More Banana Bread Recipes
Made this recipe? Leave a star rating and tag me on Instagram @seededtable so I can see. I love hearing from you!
This article was originally published December 6, 2010 and updated with no changes to the recipe in March 2022.
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- 2 2/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup butter , melted
- 2 cups peeled , ripened and mashed bananas (about 5 medium)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 cup walnuts , optional
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder; set aside. Place eggs and sugar in a blender and process about 1 minute. Add the melted butter and process until mixed. Stir in the banana and lemon juice, process until combined.
- Pour the blender mixture into the bowl with the flour mixture. Stir until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips and optional walnuts.
- Spread batter evenly into two greased medium sized loaf pans. Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until passes toothpick test in the center of the loaf.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 20 minutes in the pan. Run a knife around the edges of the pan and remove the bread onto a wire rack to cool completely before serving.
- To store, wrap in plastic wrap once completely cooled and keep on the counter or in the fridge. This also freezes well, wrapped in plastic wrap and sealed in a freezer bag.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes for standard cupcake sized muffins.
- Nutrition information is an estimate only based on one thick slice of bread, with walnuts.