Every time my mother in law visits, she brings this amazing banana bread with her. I've made it a couple of times, and although I think it is good, it is never as delicious as when she makes it. It could be because I'm one of those people who sometimes enjoys others' home cooking over my own. Or, maybe it's because her special touch makes it that much better. Whatever the case, this recipe is a keeper and will be enjoyed by my own immediate family for years to come.
I usually omit the walnuts since I don't typically have them on hand. It's the chocolate chips in the recipe that really places this quick bread above the rest for me.
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- 2 2/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup butter
- 2 cups peeled , ripened and mashed bananas (about 5 medium)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder; set aside. Using either a stand mixer or food processor, place eggs and sugar in the work bowl and process/stir about 1 minute. Add the butter and process/stir until the butter is thoroughly mixed with the eggs and sugar. Stir in the banana and lemon juice, process/mix until combined. Add the flour mixture, walnuts and chocolate chips. Stir/pulse just until dry ingredients almost disappear.
- Pour evenly into two greased medium sized loaf pans. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until passes toothpick test in the center of the loaf.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 20 minutes in the pan. Run a knife around the edges of the pan and remove the bread onto a wire rack to cool completely before serving.
- To store, wrap in plastic wrap once completely cooled and keep on the counter or in the fridge. This also freezes well, wrapped in plastic wrap and sealed in a freezer bag.
- (Bake for 15-20 minutes for cupcake sized muffin pans and 25 minutes if using jumbo muffin pans.)