Contest Winner Announced: Congratulations to our winner of the JIF Tasting Giveaway Package, Kelsey, who said "Wow! What a great giveaway, Nikki! I would love to win this. I think the first thing I would do would be to make cheesecake bars swirled with the mocha cappuccino spread. YUM!" Check your email, Kelsey, to claim your prize!
When it comes to peanut butter, there is no question that I'm a choosy mom. I choose JIF--Every.Time. Now, JIF has broken out of its shell and gone hazelnuts! Needless to say, when they contacted me a few months ago about trying their new hazelnut spreads, not only was I interested, but I was immediately excited. I knew I would love it, and love it I do!!
As any weary mother would, I first opened the jars and scooped some out (using a cookie, of course) to eat straight up. I had to stop myself so that I would have enough left to use in a recipe or two.
The box from JIF also included homemade vanilla bean marshmallows from Three Tarts (NYC) and a package of graham crackers. So, when Ben arrived home for his lunch break, we microwaved S'mores, first with the chocolate flavored hazelnut spread, and then of course, we had to have a second one with the mocha cappuccino flavor. To die for.
Since I've been on a cookie baking kick the last few months, largely due to having loads of kids to share with in our neighborhood, I decided I needed to make cookies with the new hazelnut spreads. Right away, my mind went to stuffing this goodness into chocolate chip cookies.
After three trial runs, I came up with a chocolate chip cookie base that is perfect for enveloping a dollop of chocolate hazelnut cheer. Do you remember those store-bought cookies we had as kids with the chocolate centers? They were crispy cookies, and that's exactly what I was going for with these. I didn't want pillowy or soft. I achieved crispy edges, yet chewy towards the center, with a surprise of chocolate hazelnut spread in the middle.
Before we get to the recipe, let's talk about your chance to win a trial of JIF's new hazelnut spreads, with a few other goodies! One of you will win the following package:
Jif Hazelnut Spread Tasting Kit (ARV $100):
· Jif Chocolate Flavored Hazelnut Spread
· Jif Mocha Cappuccino Flavored Hazelnut Spread
· Three Tarts Homemade Marshmallows
· Graham Crackers
· Pillsbury Chocolate Fudge Brownie Mix
· Folgers Black Silk Coffee
· Silver Spoon
· Recipes and Tips
· $50 AMEX Gift Card
- To enter, leave a comment below telling me how you wish to use JIF's new hazelnut spreads. Do you want to make this cookie recipe? Will you drizzle it over your waffles? How about licking it straight off a spoon? The sky is the limit here!
- Extra entry: Follow Pennies on a Platter on Twitter and tweet about this giveaway, then come back here to leave a comment that you did. When tweeting, copy/paste the following: "@JIF has gone hazelnuts! Visit @Penniesonaplatt for your chance to win a taste! https://tinyurl.com/d8uyuuy"
- Extra entry: Follow @Jif on Twitter, then come back and leave a comment that you did.
- Up to 3 entries allowed, as described in the first three bullet points. One entry type per person.
- Contest starts Wednesday, 8/1/2012 and ends Sunday, 8/5/2012 at 9:00PM CST.
- Winner will be chosen randomly by a random number generator. Winner will be notified by email and announced at the beginning of this post the week of 8/6/2012.
- Prize must be claimed within 1 week after winner is announced, or another winner will be chosen.
- Contest open to US residents only, please. (Prizes can be shipped to US addresses only.)
- Giveaway is sponsored by JIF, but opinions expressed are completely my own original love for the product.
Now here's the recipe you've been waiting for... with a video at the end. Oh dear!
Chocolate Hazelnut Surprise Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter , at room temperature
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup miniature chocolate chips , or 1 cup standard chocolate chips
- JIF chocolate hazelnut spread
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mat.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time and mix until thoroughly combined. Stir in the vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Gradually add to the butter/sugar mixture. Stir until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop six 1-tablespoon sized dough balls onto each baking sheet (12 total). Using your thumb, press a dent in the center of each dough ball. Fill each thumbprint with about a teaspoon of chocolate hazelnut spread. Carefully top with another tablespoon of dough, pinching the seams together to seal in the hazelnut spread, not allowing it to ooze out. (Following video helps demonstrate.)
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, until the edges just start to crisp.