Tempt me with any chocolate and peanut butter dessert and I’ll most likely give in. Who can resist such a winning combination? If you are also on the chocolate peanut butter bandwagon, try biting into a soft chocolate cookie and being surprised with a peanut butter filling! Ooh-la-la!
I made these for our friends’ son who just turned seven and then again this weekend for a Christmas cookie exchange party. They are now being added to my Christmas baskets this year. Although, once I make them, I’m not sure they will last long enough in my kitchen to make their way into the baskets! 😉
Chocolate Peanut Butter Surprise Cookies
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup granulated sugar (plus more for dipping)
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter , softened
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter , divided
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Stir together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the sugars, butter and 1/4 cup of the peanut butter until light and smooth. Add in the vanilla and egg, beating one at a time to combine. Gradually stir in the flour mixture. Set dough aside.
- To make the filling, cream together the powdered sugar and remaining 3/4 cup of peanut butter until smooth.
- To assemble the cookies, spoon a generous tablespoon of chocolate cookie dough and flatten into a circle with your hands. Scoop a small amount of peanut butter filling mixture and place in the center of the chocolate dough. Wrap the chocolate dough around the peanut butter filling, pinching ends together to seal. Roll the cookie in between hands to smooth into a ball. Roll into a bowl of sugar and place on the cookie sheet.
- Use the bottom of a glass to slightly flatten the cookies. Bake for 7 to 9 minutes. Do not over bake. Let cool on wire rack.
- Source: Liv Life