Our Chocolate Pumpkin Cake Brownies are studded with chocolate chips for fudgy bites of pumpkin squares. If you love chocolate cake brownies, you will love this pumpkin spice version!
This pumpkin brownie recipe is a great addition to our collection of brownie recipes! We love chocolate and pumpkin together, and these chocolate pumpkin brownies hit the spot! Try them with our other favorite pumpkin recipes!
I cannot tell you how many times I've made these pumpkin cake brownies, only to find out the reason they were not turning out was because my oven wasn't working right! Our oven is about 12 years old, so it's time we start saving for a new one. In the meantime, we have been performing a few maintenance tricks to keep it going.
Last week, I bought this oven thermometer on Amazon to ensure the correct temperature. Y'all, I found out my oven is taking 45 minutes to pre-heat! Who has time for that!? After this finding, we ordered a new part -- I have no idea what (that's Ben's territory) and he replaced the thing-a-ma-bob with the doo-hicky, which didn't do the trick.
The next time we fired up the oven, we realized the bottom burner whatcya-ma-call-it wasn't heating up and only the top one was. So, now we're waiting on that part and praying it fixes our problem!
Thankfully, I made these pumpkin brownies a few times before the bottom burner went out. My kids love these chocolate pumpkin brownies. They are cake-like. It's very hard to achieve a fudgy true brownie consistency with pumpkin puree. But, these pumpkin brownies are both fudgy and cake-like, which I love in a brownie recipe!
A few tips when making these pumpkin brownies:
- The batter is thick, so do not expect a runny consistency like boxed brownie mix.
- Use Baker's Joy for the best nonstick spray.
- No pumpkin pie spice? Use 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp allspice, 1/4 tsp nutmeg.
- Use a plastic knife to cut the slices for cleaner cuts and to avoid scratching your pan.
- Cool completely before slicing - unless you're serving with ice cream. In that case, just scoop it out and enjoy!
- Baking times may vary if using a glass pan.
Chocolate Pumpkin Cake Brownies
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter , melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips , plus more to sprinkle over top (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 9x9-inch pan with nonstick spray (I prefer Baker's Joy) or line with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar and butter. Mix in eggs one at a time, followed by the pumpkin puree, water and vanilla; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, spices, salt. Add to the bowl of wet ingredients and stir. Fold in the chocolate chips. Spread mixture into prepared pan and sprinkle with optional additional chocolate chips.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, until set and done in the middle. Remove from oven and let cool completely before slicing.
- Baking times may vary if using a glass or pyrex pan.
- Substitute pumpkin pie spice with 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp allspice, 1/4 tsp nutmeg.