This Coconut Chicken with Apricot Sauce comes together in a SNAP! The chicken is simply coated in a crispy coconut crust, then served with a 2-ingredient sweet and sour apricot sauce. A perfect QUICK weeknight dinner!
A few months ago a friend of mine started an email recipe exchange with several of her friends. Although I’m not exactly hurting to find new recipes, I was excited to join the group and see what everyone would share each month.
I’m embarrassed to say that since I have so many recipes already bookmarked from cookbooks and food blogs, I haven’t had a chance to try hardly any of the new recipes from the email exchange. However, a couple of weeks ago I decided to sit down and print them out, then chose a few to make that week. I’m so glad I did this because we discovered one of our favorite dinners, this coconut chicken.
Quick Weeknight Dinner
You know I’m always overjoyed with finding recipes that can be put together in a snap. The longest step for making these besides the baking time is preheating the oven. 🙂 After dipping the chicken breasts in the beaten egg and then the coconut mixture, just bake them for a little over a half an hour. Meanwhile, preparing the apricot sauce is even easier. Don’t share the secret, but that delicious dip is simply a concoction of apricot preserves and Dijon mustard. That’s it!
2-Ingredient Sweet and Sour Apricot Sauce
Can you believe you can make a DELICIOUS sweet and sour sauce for this chicken with only TWO ingredients? Just combine apricot preserves with Dijon mustard for this tasty condiment. Adding the sauce to the chicken makes it reminiscent to a sweet and sour chicken plate you may order at a Chinese restaurant. But, the crispy coconut coating takes it many more levels above.
What to serve with Coconut Chicken
In addition to serving this coconut chicken with the apricot sauce, I always place it on top of a bed of rice. Try my Garlic Rice Pilaf for extra flavor.
Coconut Chicken with Apricot Sauce
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1/4 cup apricot preserves
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Preheat the oven to 400˚Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Lightly beat the egg in a medium bowl; set aside. Mix the coconut, flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a shallow bowl. Working with one chicken breast at a time, dip the chicken in the bowl with the beaten egg and then coat with the coconut mixture. Place on the baking sheet. Once all chicken breasts are coated and on the baking sheet, evenly drizzle with the melted butter. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, flipping once halfway.
- To prepare the apricot sauce, mix the apricot preserves and the Dijon mustard in a small bowl. Chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.