Christmas morning breakfast can be difficult to pull off when there are so many other things going on. Dad is holding the video camera, recording the kids opening their gifts. Mom is picking up the scraps of wrapping paper to throw away while keeping tabs on recycling the bows. When the excitement is over, the children excitedly play with their new toys as mom and dad sneak away for one more hour of sleep.
Then, it's time to Skype with out of town family to say "Merry Christmas" and by the time that is finished, there's not much time to cook up breakfast AND prep everything that's needed for Christmas dinner. So, why not have breakfast ready the night before? You can do just that with your slow cooker and this recipe.
All you need to do to get this breakfast favorite together is quickly cook up some breakfast sausage then layer it in a crock-pot with frozen hashbrowns, cheese and onions then top with an egg mixture. Let it cook overnight on low for 6 to 8 hours, or while everyone is hustling about in the morning on high for 4 hours and serve as a brunch. Easy peasy and ready to please your family!
Below is the basic version I make. You can definitely dress it up a little more with any of your favorite add-ins...maybe bacon or ham instead of sausage, or try some veggies? Then, serve it as is, or top it with a scoop of salsa, hot sauce, ketchup, you name it! The important thing is, breakfast is served!
Crock-Pot Sausage and Egg Breakfast Casserole
- 2 lbs frozen shredded hashbrowns
- 1 lb breakfast sausage , browned and drained
- 1/2 cup yellow onions , diced (or 6 green onions, chopped)
- 2 to 3 cups shredded cheese , mixture of cheddar and mozzarella preferred
- 12 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- More salt and pepper to season the hashbrown layers , to taste
- Lightly grease the insert to a large (6 quart) slow cooker with nonstick spray. Layer 1/3 of the hashbrowns on the bottom, then lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top with 1/3 of the cooked sausage, then 1/3 of each the onions and cheese. Repeat layers two more times, ending with the cheese.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and seasonings. Pour over the layers in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or high for 3-4 hours. (Edges may brown.)
- Source: Adapted from Family Fresh Meals