This isn't one of those "I won't eat boxed cake mixes anymore" posts. Although it has been a fun adventure for me to find recipes I can make at home and cut back on the processed store-bought varieties, I have no shame in admitting that I'll take a good ol' short cut any day of the week! So, yes, you will still see me throw a box of cake mix in my shopping cart here and there. Just like you will see me whip up a "fancy-schmancy" batch of boxed brownies, even though I have a from-scratch recipe I love just as well.
So, why do I give you this recipe for a DIY version of yellow cake mix? It's because I love that I can whip together 5 whole cups of this stuff and store it in my freezer so it's ready for when I have an urge to make a cake batter flavored recipe. You've seen them popping up all over the place. Cake batter is creeping up in basically every thing...from ice cream, to milk shakes, to even breakfast dishes! I don't always have a box of cake mix on hand, and when I do, I hate opening it for just a cup or half and wasting the rest. This solves that problem.
I have not made a cake with this mix, and I don't think I ever will. But, if you want tips and instructions for that, then please head over to Mel's fantastic post and read her suggestions. For me, I have a different perfect yellow cake recipe (I have yet to photograph and share) so my recommendation for this mix is solely for using it in cake batter-flavored recipes. Are we clear? Good.
And, just so you know where I'm going with this. August is my birthday month. Since the actual day is near the end of the month, I decided to feature a few different birthday cake-flavored recipes all month. I've debated on making and posting my own birthday cake, too, but let's just get real...I'm horrible at decorating cakes. (One of the reasons I haven't photographed/shared my favorite yellow cake recipe.) So, I'm not going to promise a cake, but I think you'll like what I have in store instead. 🙂
DIY Homemade Yellow Cake Mix
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter , cut into 1/2-inch pieces and chilled to very cold
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- Add all ingredients, except the butter, into a food processor. Process for 15 seconds, until combined. Add the butter and lightly fluff with a fork to coat with the flour mixture. Add vanilla, then pulse until the mixture is crumbly and fine. Use immediately in any recipe calling for yellow cake mix, or freeze immediately in a zipper bag for up to 2 months.
- Source: Adapted from Mel's Kitchen Cafe, originally Cook's Country