This recipe for Grilled Chicken Tacos with Spiced Mayo and Avocado Salsa is SO good you’ll want to keep grilling it all season long!
These grilled chicken skewers, folded into tortillas and topped with spiced mayo and avocado salsa, are an interesting option for spicing up the grilling season. We like to grill the tortillas, too, so they have a tiny bit of crisp to them. Grill them for only seconds, though, so they are still pliable enough to fold nicely into a taco shell.
We have already had a busy summer, and it’s not even technically summer yet. School here ends early… like 3 weeks ago, early. Growing up in Michigan, we were still going strong at the beginning of June. Here, people are checking out in early May. That’s fine with me, though, because then the school schedules line up with Ben’s seminary teaching schedule so we can travel. And, travel we did! For two weeks.
It’s good to be back. I’m exhausted from unpacking, cleaning the house, and just trying to get back to the routine of work. We all need a vacation from vacation, right?
Before we left for vacation, we tried to use up as much of our food as possible so very little would be wasted. Grilling was a big deal for us, too, because the weather was perfect. So I put to use our Weber grilling book once again and made these Grilled Chicken Tacos with Spiced Mayo and Avocado Salsa.
Do not skip the spiced mayo or the avocado salsa. They are the perfect topping to these tacos and add a creamy texture to what otherwise might be too dry. The flavors are outstanding.
What are you grilling this summer?
Grilled Chicken Soft Tacos with Spiced Mayo and Avocado Salsa
For the chicken:
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin , divided
- Salt & pepper , to taste
- 4 boneless , skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large yellow onion , peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces (3-layer stacks)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
For the Avocado Salsa:
- 2 large avocados , peeled, pitted and diced
- 2 medium Roma tomatoes , seeded and finely diced
- 3 green onions , minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 8 flour tortillas
- If using bamboo skewers, soak them in water at least 30 minute before starting. If using metal skewers, skip this step.
- Preheat grill to medium heat, about 350 to 450 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the lime zest, 1/4 teaspoon of cumin, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Place the chicken pieces into the bowl and toss to combine until evenly coated with the seasonings. Thread the chicken and onion onto skewers.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons lime juice, 1 teaspoon hot sauce, and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon cumin. Stir in water, 1 teaspoon at a time, until the mixture reaches a consistency where it can be drizzled.
- In another bowl, toss together the salsa ingredients and season with salt to taste.
- Brush the skewers with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill directly over the heat, covered, for about 8 minutes, turning occasionally. Remove from the grill and let rest for 3 minutes. Meanwhile, lightly grill the tortillas for 1 to 2 minutes to warm, turning once. Slide the chicken and onions off the skewers onto a large platter, and let everyone assemble their own tacos with the mayo and salsa.
- Recipe Source: Weber's New Real Grilling