These chili cornbread squares feed a crowd, giving you the perfect dish for a party or potluck dinner.
Hey guys! (My cousin who I grew up with in Michigan just reprimanded me for saying "y'all" in an earlier post, so "guys" it is this time!) 😉
I am SO excited about today's post! Hear me out. I developed this recipe for Mrs. Dash Seasoning Mix Packets, using their Chili Seasoning Mix, but it is easily going to be a rotating dish in our house! Actually, it will make a regular appearance at our weekly church potluck, too, because it feeds like a million people. Well, like 12 to 15...but that's almost a million, right?
Just look at that layer of hearty chili! Every bite can include a scoop of cornbread, too! Isn't that awesome!?
If you have a big family, this is the perfect weeknight meal for you. If you have a small family, this is a great recipe for having friends over for dinner. Serve with your favorite chili toppings like sour cream, corn chips and cheese.
Do you want to know what is better about eating chili this way than out of a bowl? You've been to a party where chili is served, so you have a bowl in your hand but then you want to snack on all of the other party food that's on a separate plate. You also have a drink to carry. We do not have enough hands to juggle it all! Chili cornbread squares let you have your chili on your plate with the rest of your food! See? Brilliant, huh? 😉
Want to know something else that's great about this particular recipe? The chili seasoning in it is salt-free and all-natural. In fact, Mrs. Dash Seasoning Mix Packets are the only all-natural, salt-free, and no MSG packets on the market. With ten different seasonings available, they are are quick, easy meal solutions perfect for family meals. This includes three tasty dips!
Home-Style Chili Cornbread Squares
- 1 lb ground beef
- ½ large yellow onion , diced
- 1 package Mrs. Dash Chili Seasoning Mix
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) Ranch Style beans, undrained
- 2 boxes (8.5 ounces each) cornbread mix
- 2 eggs
- ⅔ cup milk
- 1 ½ to 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese , divided
- Corn chips
- Green onions , chopped (optional)
- Sour cream
- Additional shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 9x13-inch baking pan with nonstick spray; set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook the beef and onions until the meat is browned and the onions are soft and translucent. Mix in the Mrs. Dash Chili Seasoning Mix, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and beans. Allow to come to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, prepare the cornbread. In a mixing bowl, stir together the cornbread mix, milk and eggs until just combined. Mixture will be lumpy. Let set to rise for 3-4 minutes. Spread in the prepared baking pan and bake for 12-15 minutes. Remove from oven and let set for 5 minutes.
- Evenly spread about ¾ of the shredded cheese over the cornbread. Layer the meat mixture over top, then sprinkle with the rest of the cheese. Return to the oven for about 5-8 minutes, until heated through and cheese is melted.
- Remove from the oven and let set for 3 minutes before slicing into squares and serving. Serve with corn chips, green onions, sour cream and additional shredded cheese.
Disclosure: I was provided product and compensation for developing this recipe for Mrs. Dash.