Hot Chocolate Cookies are chocolate cookies baked with hot cocoa mix and topped with gooey mini marshmallows that puff perfectly in the oven. These Hot Chocolate Cookies are perfect for a Christmas cookie exchange!
Did you ever wonder what you can make out of hot cocoa mix? You can use hot cocoa mix for baking! I make these Hot Chocolate Cookies all winter long! We always have hot cocoa mix on hand, as well as mini marshmallows. These hot chocolate cookies bake up quickly and easily when you have those two ingredients in your pantry. Your kids will love placing the marshmallows carefully on top of each cookie and then biting into the gooey chocolate!
My best friend first introduced these cookies to me when we were visiting her in Indiana years ago. When she first described them to me earlier in the day, I just couldn't picture what the heck she was talking about. We love our classic cookies like chocolate chip cookies, peanut butter cookies, no-bake cookies, sugar cookies, etc. But, how do you make hot cocoa cookies? Later that evening, she made them for us and I couldn't get them out of my mind for the longest time. We quickly traveled back to our home in California, and when winter weather finally hit it was my turn to bake up a batch...and bake up a batch, I did!
Baking With Hot Cocoa Mix
I wanted to make some of these for my family in Michigan when I was visiting that following January. Unfortunately, something went wrong and the cookie dough ended up very dry and crumbly, although the cookies tasted fine. I later figured out that I used too much of the hot cocoa mix for baking the cookies. The recipe calls for 4 packages hot chocolate mix. Make sure you do not use the type that is sugar-free or that includes marshmallows. Or, you can substitute with homemade hot chocolate mix, which makes them even better! BUT, do not substitute the hot cocoa mix for cocoa powder. Bad bad idea.
Mini Marshmallows in Cookies
Some hot cocoa cookie recipes call for Mallow Bits instead of mini marshmallows. I do not love Mallow Bits in my cookies and prefer to the gooey-ness of mini marshmallows placed on top of each cookie. You can definitely stir in Mallow Bits instead and eliminate the mini marshmallows if you prefer! You just won't have that yummy gooey marshmallow texture that my kids and I love.
I hope you enjoy these Hot Chocolate Cookies as much as my family has for the last many years!
Hot Chocolate Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter , at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 4 packages (or ½ cup plus 3 Tablespoons) Hot Chocolate Mix (store-bought or homemade)
- 1 ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mat.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then blend in the vanilla.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the flour, hot chocolate mix, and baking soda and salt. Slowly add to the wet ingredients and mix just until combined, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Drop dough balls onto the prepared cookie sheets and bake for 7 minutes. Remove the cookies from the oven. Working quickly, carefully add about 5 to 7 miniature marshmallows to the top of each cookie, and gently press. Return to the oven and bake an additional 2 to 3 minutes, or until the marshmallows start to puff. Remove from the oven and let cool on the cookie sheets for 10 minutes before removing. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Updated on November 24, 2018. Originally published on February 29, 2012.