And so this is Christmas! Unfortunately, I’ve been sick all weekend and didn’t feel like cooking or baking a thing. Good thing my mom and Ben’s mom took the lead and did it all. It probably would’ve been that way even if I was feeling healthy. There is just something about eating someone else’s cooking during the holidays…
Even so, I have a few recipes I’ve made in the past weeks that haven’t made it to the blog yet. As my Christmas gift to you, I’ll post one right now. 🙂 This one is from a magazine a friend at work gives me every so often, Hallmark Magazine.
1 tube (18 oz) precooked polenta
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3 tbsp olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
6 Roma (plum) tomatoes, chopped
1 tbsp basil
1 tbsp oregano
Pinch of sugar
4 tbsp tomato paste
1 lb mild or hot Italian sausage, casings removed
8 oz mozzarella, shredded
1. In a medium bowl, crumble the polenta. Mix in 1/3 cup of the Parmesan. Press into a 9-inch square baking dish.
2. Preheat the oven to 375 F.
3. In a large skillet, heat 2 tbsp of the oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until just turning golden, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, basil, oregano and sugar. Simmer 15 minutes, stirring often. Add the tomato paste and cook 3 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the sausage in the remaining 1 tbsp oil over medium-high for 5 to 7 minutes.
5. Sprinkle 1/3 cup of the Parmesan over the polenta. Top with the sausage, sauce, remaining 1/3 cup Parmesan and mozzarella. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until hot and bubbling. Let stand for 10 minutes.