Lately, all I have been sharing with you are recipes that will satisfy your sweet tooth or serve as a filling snack. I have been making new dishes here and there, but always for dinner when it is already dark outside and there is no way I'll get a good snapshot of it. (Sorry, I still can't figure out how to use my external flash to my camera without making it look like I used an external flash.) 😉 Or, Judah is hanging on my leg and there is no chance to plate it, style it, and make it look like something you really want to eat.
But, today I'm happy to finally provide something that you can make yourself for lunch or dinner. And, make it quickly! So quickly that we had this for dinner one night and then two days later I threw it together again within minutes for lunch so that I could take photos.
This is a great vegetarian option, even if you're not a vegetarian. 😉 And, despite how it may seem, they are very filling! These are individual sized pizzas. Use the smallest flour tortillas you can find (is 6-inch the smallest as store-bought?) I make my own tortillas, and shape them to about 5 inches for this recipe. But, 6-inch will work as well. If you can't find small tortillas, then go ahead and make big pizzas, then cut into wedges to share. No bigs.
Mexican Triple-Decker Pizzas
- 3 (14.5 oz) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 12 small (5- to 6-inch) flour tortillas
- 1 1/2 cup shredded cheese , or more or less to your preference
- 3 cups salsa
- Salt and pepper , to taste
- Sour cream , for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray the tortillas with cooking spray and bake for 3 minutes, flip, then bake another 3 minutes until crisp. Set aside and keep the oven on.
- In a large saucepan, mash the black beans with a potato masher until only some lumps are left. Stir in 3/4 cup of the salsa then season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cook over medium heat until heated through.
- To assemble the individual pizzas: Spread a thin layer of the beans on a tortilla, then drizzle with salsa and sprinkle with cheese. Top with another tortilla and repeat the layers ending with cheese. Top with a third tortilla and repeat again ending with cheese. This makes 1 triple-decker pizza. Repeat with the remaining tortillas to make a total of 4 triple-decker pizzas. Bake on a baking sheet for 5-7 minutes, until cheese is melted. Serve with sour cream.
- Source: Adapted from Sing for Your Supper