Our favorite berry shortcake recipe inspired from a sweet family friend. A simple mixture of pantry ingredients is dipped into a butter and sugar bath then baked into a scrumptious fruit and cream summer treat.
Who doesn't love a summer berry shortcake for dessert on a warm bright evening? Heck, I'm all about having shortcake for breakfast! Why not? You will love this buttery, sugary shortcake recipe that we drizzle with French vanilla yogurt and top with lightly sweetened diced mixed berries.
I've been sitting on this recipe for years, ever since our good friend made it for us during a visit. She makes it for us every time we travel to their home and I've since added it to my personal recipe collection.
This time I made the shortcake using White Lily Wheat and White Grape Seed Flour Blend, one of White Lily's new line of premium flours. In my three years so far of being a Mississippi resident, I've learned that White Lily is a southern favorite. For example, most bakers in the south prefer White Lily self-rising flour for biscuits and I've become a fan, myself! It's with enthusiasm I can share that I've teamed with White Lily for this next year to help launch their new line of premium flour blends.
White Lily partnered with Shepherd's Grain, a group of wheat growers in the Pacific Northwest, to bring this new line of premium flour blends. Through this partnership, all of these products are proudly made in the United States and are Non-GMO Project® Verified. The coolest thing about it, though? The traceability. What does this mean? There is a code on the back of each bag of flour that traces back to the farmer behind that bag. Just enter the code at WhiteLily.com and you can meet your farmer and learn all about where the wheat for that bag of flour was grown!
I had the opportunity to meet some of the Shepherd's Grain farmers in person! Last month, I was invited to the White Lily and Shepherd's Grain launch event near Spokane, Washington. We toured a wheat field and sampled recipes made with the new line of premium flour blends. The breads above were baked with the new line, along with the crackers below.
These Pacific-Northwest farmers practice what is called no-till farming which supports long term sustainability. Essentially, no-till imitates what nature does as naturally as possible and slows down erosion, returning value to the land.
We visited the farm of 4th generation farmers Fred and Vicki Fleming. Fred took us to the fields and explained about their 3,000 different selections of wheat and how they're naturally bred and selected. The Shepherd's Grain farmers take great care in being "food producers and not just growers," and they believe it is important for home bakers to know who grew their wheat and how they're growing it.
The new flour blends are a 1:1 cup ratio substitution for recipes with all-purpose flour, so it's easy! The new products are available online and will be on store shelves nationwide later this year.
Mixed Berry Shortcake with Yogurt Cream
For the shortcake:
- 2 cups White Lily Wheat and White Grape Seed Flour Blend
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar , plus another 1/2 cup for dipping
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
For the topping:
- Mixed berries
- granulated sugar
- French vanilla yogurt
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the center and pour all of the whipping cream in at once. Use a wooden spoon to gently mix until just moistened.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface. Gently shape into an 8-inch log. Slice into 6 equal portions and transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet. Freeze for 1 hour or refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Melt the butter in a bowl and pour the remaining 1/2 cup sugar into another bowl. Dip each shortcake dough into the butter first and roll in the sugar to coat. Place back on the parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit 5 minutes before serving.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the mixed berries and sugar to taste. To serve, drizzle yogurt over top of each shortcake and top with desired amount of berries. Serve warm.
Disclosure: I have partnered with White Lily to help promote their new line of premium flour products. All opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that I love.