No longer is your rice cooker a uni-tasker! Wake up with it for breakfast and make this easy cheesy Sausage & Grits Breakfast Casserole with the touch of a button!
I accepted a challenge for @HomePanasonic Better Breakfast Month to create a #RiseAndShine breakfast recipe that can be made in a rice cooker. Before this, I didn’t even own a rice cooker! I don’t necessarily like taking up space in my kitchen with small appliances that are designated for one task (“uni-taskers”). But, after Panasonic contacted me about this breakfast challenge, it made me realize that rice cookers can do so much more than just perfectly cook rice!
Before we get to the recipe, let’s talk about the Panasonic SR-DF101 Rice Cooker and why I am now a convert…seriously! I didn’t realize how easy rice cookers are to use! This specific one is also extremely easy to clean. That was another turn-off to me when thinking about rice cookers before, but I was totally wrong. With the nonstick coating, the bowl quickly wipes clean!
There are six menu settings, including OFF and Keep Warm. The others are the choices of Quick Cook/Steam, White Rice, Brown Rice, and Porridge/Soup. The rice cooker’s microcomputer “fuzzy logic” technology controls the power and cooking time depending on the ingredients and gives more consistent results. For example, I used the White Rice setting to prepare the grits in this recipe before combining them with the rest of the ingredients, and the rice cooker automatically knew when the grits were done!
After the grits were done cooking, I simply opened the top of the rice cooker and gave them a stir. I then added the rest of the ingredients, closed the rice cooker again and pushed the “Quick Cook” setting. Just two rounds of the Quick Cook setting and the casserole was ready!
My friends at Panasonic would like to give you a chance to win the Panasonic SR-DF101 Rice Cooker for your home! One of my readers will win. Use the giveaway widget below the recipe to enter!
Rice Cooker Sausage & Grits Breakfast Casserole
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup quick grits
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 lb . breakfast sausage , cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- Mix together the water, grits and salt in the bowl of the rice cooker. Close the cover and click "White Rice" setting. The grits are done when the rice cooker switches to the "Warm" setting, about 30 minutes.
- Turn OFF the rice cooker, open the lid and stir the grits while scraping the bottom. Stir in the butter until completely melted, then add in the cooked sausage and cheese (all while keeping the bowl inside the rice cooker).
- In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs and milk. Stir into the grits in the rice cooker. Cover again and press the "Quick Cook" setting. In about 15 minutes, the setting will automatically switch to "Warm". Turn the rice cooker OFF, open the lid and stir. Close the lid and cook on the "Quick Cook" setting for one more cycle. When the rice cooker automatically switches to "Warm" again, turn the rice cooker OFF, open the lid and serve immediately.
This post is sponsored by Panasonic, however, this recipe is original and all of the opinions are mine. Thank you for letting me partner with companies I love in order to bring you more content and fun giveaways!