This weeknight Chicken and Cheese Tortellini Soup is an easy and flavorful dinner to quickly get on the table. It's a simple dinner idea for a family favorite meal!
My goal for this blog in 2019 is to publish more simple dinner recipes for you! The recipes I publish on here are all recipes that I make and feed to my family. So when it comes to dinner recipes, the lighting for photography is terrible making it more difficult to snatch an ideal photo and I want my family to eat and not wait! In turn, that sometimes keeps me from posting the recipe.
But, the main purpose for Seeded at the Table is to encourage your families to gather together, and easy meal recipes would help accomplish that goal, right? I think I've figured out a way to get it done, starting with this Simple Chicken and Cheese Tortellini Soup.
I'm an Occupational Therapy practitioner in a local pediatric clinic, and the hours I work are in the afternoon -- because after school hours are most desirable for families. When I come home in the evenings, I need quick and easy meal options!
During the morning, or the evening before, I chop the carrots, celery and onion so they're prepped and ready to go. Then I always have my favorite shredded chicken on hand since I prep this once per month and freeze it. Both of these steps make cooking this Chicken and Cheese Tortellini soup an easy breezy weeknight meal!
There are other ways to gather together as a family, of course, but we make it a point to eat our meals at the table together every evening. We have days here and there where that just isn't possible, but for the most part it happens.
As the boys grow older and become involved in more activities, we may have to find another way to get together each day. Maybe that's at bedtime, or in the mornings for breakfast, or an evening family game. Whatever the case, I hope to make it a priority until the day they move out of our house. 🙂
Until that day, (which I don't even want to think about) we will spend many dinner moments at our dining table enjoying this Simple Chicken and Cheese Tortellini Soup.
This recipe calls for a Dutch Oven, which is a large heavy duty enameled cast iron pot. I recommend this 6-quart Marquette Castings Dutch Oven. I use my Dutch Oven weekly for many different recipes, including chili, soups, taco meat, frying, and more!
Click here or the "Shop" menu button above to see my other favorite kitchen tools.
Chicken and Cheese Tortellini Soup
- 8 oz uncooked bacon slices (about 6 to 8 slices) cut into small pieces
- 3 large carrots peeled and diced
- 3 celery stalks diced
- 1 small yellow onion peeled and diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb package fresh 3-cheese tortellini (found refrigerated near the cheese section)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1/2 teaspon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat 6 quart Dutch Oven (or large pot) over medium heat. Toss and cook the bacon until cooked through. Add the carrots, celery and onion and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in the garlic and cook for another 1 minute.
- Pour in the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add the tortellini, reduce heat to medium and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the cream, cheese, and chicken. Heat another 5 minutes on low, or until heated through. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
- Can be kept in the fridge for up to 1 week. Reheat leftovers on the stove top with additional chicken broth.
This post contains affiliate links.