Taffy Apple Salad is a side dish that can also be a dessert, with miniature marshmallows, pineapple chunks, diced apples and bite sized pieces of Snickers candy bar mixed into a pineapple whipped topping.
One of my former co-workers, and friend, from when we lived in Illinois, often shared with me recipe ideas that at first sounded like a strange concoction, but ended up as a favorite. She is responsible for the Chinese Sundaes (or Hawaiian Haystacks), Fruit Salsa with Cinnamon Chips (not yet on the blog) and also this Taffy Apple Salad.
Gosh, I miss you and your food, Kristi!
But, hey, I can miss her all I want and still eat her food! 😉 You will want to try this either as a side at a potluck, or a dessert for dinner guests. And, although it's a mix of pineapples and diced apples with Snickers, marshmallows and Cool Whip, it's healthy because "salad" is in the title, right? 😉
Snickers Bar Taffy Apple Salad
- 1 (20 oz.) can pineapple chunks, drain and save juice
- 2 ½ cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 egg , lightly beaten
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 1 ½ Tablespoons white vinegar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 to 1 ½ cups chopped Snickers candy bars
- 8 oz . Cool Whip
- 1 green apple (I use Granny Smith), unpeeled, cored and diced
- 1 red apple , unpeeled, cored and diced
One day before serving:
- Drain the pineapple chunks and save the juice. In a large bowl, toss together the pineapple chunks and marshmallows. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the reserved juice, egg, flour, vinegar and sugar. Cook over medium low heat until thickened like a custard. Transfer to a container, cover and chill overnight.
The day of serving:
- The next day (day of serving), combine the custard with the pineapples and marshmallows. Stir in the remaining ingredients and chill until served.
- Although I have eaten leftovers of this one day later, this is best the day it's made.
- Adapted Source: Kristi B. friend of Seeded at the Table