These dinner rolls are 100% whole wheat and surprisingly soft and pillowy!
Tomorrow is Thanksgiving -- are you ready?? I'm hosting my side of my family, who are all driving down from Michigan. We're going to have a full house, but I couldn't be more excited! Because it's going to be crazy here, I prepped as much as I could ahead of time. There are now homemade apple pie, peanut butter pie and dinner rolls in my freezer ready for the big day!
If you're looking for a whole wheat dinner roll that doesn't suffer with texture, these are THE best. Super soft and pillowy, they are easy to make for your feast tomorrow. Or, for any other night of the week!
Super Soft Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls
- 6 cups white whole wheat flour , divided
- 1/3 cup vital wheat gluten
- 2 packets instant yeast
- 2 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter , melted and slightly cooled
- 1/3 cup honey
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter , melted and cooled
- Fit your stand mixer with the dough hook. Combine 3 1/2 cups of the flour, wheat gluten and instant yeast. Stir in the water and mix with the dough hook for 1 minutes, scraping sides of the bowl as necessary. Cover bowl with kitchen towel and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Uncover and add the salt, 1/3 cup melted butter, honey and lemon juice. Beat with the dough hook for 1 minute, then mix in the remaining 2 1/2 cups of flour, 1 cup at a time. Knead with the dough hook for 10 to 15 minutes or until dough doesn't stick to the sides of the bowl and is tacky to the touch.
- Transfer dough to a lightly greased bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
- Spread the remaining 2 tablespoons melted butter in a large rimmed baking sheet; set aside. Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and knead a few more times with your hands. Form the dough into a rectangle and cut into 24 equal portions. Tuck sides down under each ball to form a smooth roll and place onto the baking sheet is four rows of six.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from the oven and immediately brush each roll with melted butter. Allow to cool just to the touch; serve warm.
- Recipe source: Five Heart Home