This is comfort food at its best, people. This macaroni and cheese doesn't come from a box, yet it still whips up in less than 20 minutes. I already have a favorite easy mac 'n cheese recipe that's baked, but, it's always nice to have variations, especially when it means an even more saucy mac 'n cheese with no time needed in the oven!
You can use yellow or white American cheese. In the photo above, I used white since I had some left over from the White Cheese Dip. The peas are optional, of course, but I would highly recommend adding them as they give a nice bite amidst all of the cheese. I love it as a tribute to my grandfather who always has peas in his shell pasta with spaghetti sauce. Plus, what a better way to get in some of those nutritional greens?
Stove-top Mac ‘n Cheese
- 8 ounces macaroni pasta (shells, elbow, whatever you like!)
- 8 ounces American cheese (white or yellow), grated
- 1/2 cup fat-free Greek yogurt
- Salt and pepper , to taste
- 1 1/2 cup frozen peas , thawed (just run under cold water in a strainer for quick thawing process)
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken (optional)
- Prepare the pasta according to the package directions, until al dente. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup pasta water. Return cooked pasta to the pot.
- Mix in 1/4 cup of the pasta water, yogurt and 1/3 of the grated cheese. Stir until the cheese has melted, then add remaining cheese one handful at a time to prevent clumping. Add in additional pasta water, as necessary, to achieve desired cheese sauce consistency.
- Stir in the optional peas and chicken right before serving; serve warm.
- To reheat leftovers, microwave and stir in 30 second intervals. Add a tablespoon or two of skim milk or water, if needed, to thin the sauce.
- Source: Barely adapted from Confections of a Foodie Bride