The crispy pecan streusel topping makes this Sweet Potato Casserole the ultimate Thanksgiving side dish. It even beat the test over the classic toasted marshmallow version. Your guests will go crazy for this Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecan Streusel Topping!
This easy Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecan Streusel Topping is one of three sweet potato casserole recipes we have made in the past for Thanksgiving. My family will need to take a vote on which one should be made for Thanksgiving next Thursday. I already asked Ben, and he surprisingly didn't vote for his favorite "life-changing" marshmallow sweet potato casserole variation but asked for this one instead!
The best way I can explain this dish is that is seems to be a cross between Sweet Potato Casserole and Pecan Pie. We enjoy both, so it was a natural fit for us. You will love the crispy pecan streusel topping. It creates a dish that can sit as either a side or dessert. Next time I'd like to try baking it in a couple of pie dishes with my favorite pie dough.
How do you make easy Sweet Potato Casserole?
Sweet potato casserole is very easy to make. It contains just a few simple steps:
- Bake the sweet potatoes at 375°F until tender.
- Peel the skins and mash the sweet potatoes in a bowl.
- Mix in the other ingredients.
- Spread in a casserole pan, top with pecan streusel topping.
- Bake at 400°F another 25 minutes.
Can I make Sweet Potato Casserole Ahead?
You can make this Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecan Streusel Topping ahead of time very easily. I recommend making the filling the day before, then spread in a casserole dish and refrigerate until you're ready to top with the streusel and bake.
This recipe is an adaptation of a couple of other recipes, leaning heavily on the Pioneer Woman's version. She stated in her post that these were originally called Soul Sweet 'Taters. I love that name!
So, tell me. Which of the three sweet potato recipes do you prefer?
Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecan Streusel Topping
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup pecans , chopped
- 1/2 cup flour
- 6 tablespoons butter , cubed
- Bake the sweet potatoes in a preheated 375 degree F oven until they are fork tender, about 40-45 minutes. Take the potatoes out of the oven and increase temperature to 400 degrees F. Peel the skins off the potatoes and scoop the insides into a large mixing bowl. Add the maple syrup, milk, eggs, vanilla and salt and mash with a potato masher until mashed but still a little chunky.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, pecans, flour and butter with a pastry blender.
- Spread the potato mixture evenly into a baking dish. Sprinkle with the pecan topping. Bake at 400 degrees F until golden brown on top, about 25 minutes.